Disconnected light

The left hand switch is a two-way. Landing light, I guess.
The next switch along is a one way. Porch light, I guess.

These two switches have their commons linked to the third switch from the left, which is in turn connected to the black conductor.

For the lights connected to the two switches on the LHS of the plate to work, that black has to be a live feed, no?

I find it odd that there are plenty of connectors in the switch box. Could one of these contain the disconnected switch wire for the hall light?

And the two reds connected in the back box also intrigue me.

You will deffo need a multimeter at least to try and sort this out.

Edited for clarity.
Thanks for the reply I think one of the wires is the switch wire, just have to figure out which one. I've ordered a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm not getting any continuity between switch and rose from any of the wires connected to the switch except for earth not from the individually black wires in connectors or the 2 red wires connected together. What should I be looking for?
Thanks.
It's all off btw

I did get continuity from earth on the box to the blue wire at the rose

What rose are you talking about?

Do you mean the blue wire in the white flex connected to the junction box hanging from the hole in the ceiling?

I'm not getting any continuity between switch and rose from any of the wires connected to the switch except for earth not from the individually black wires in connectors or the 2 red wires connected together. What should I be looking for?
Thanks.
It's all off btw
The red conductor coming out of the hall ceiling should have continuity with one of the conductors in the switch box.

If not, either that is not the switch position for the hall switch, or there is a break in continuity between the hall ceiling wiring and the switch.

Is that switch you pictured the only possible switch for the hall light?

You did say the previous owner disconnected the hall light, so is it safe to say that the hall light has never worked while you have owned the building?

Is it easy to lift the floor above the hall ceiling light wiring to find the junction box?

The red conductor coming out of the hall ceiling should have continuity with one of the conductors in the switch box.

If not, either that is not the switch position for the hall switch, or there is a break in continuity between the hall ceiling wiring and the switch.

Is that switch you pictured the only possible switch for the hall light?

You did say the previous owner disconnected the hall light, so is it safe to say that the hall light has never worked while you have owned the building?

Is it easy to lift the floor above the hall ceiling light wiring to find the junction box?
Thanks for reply definitely no continuity from rose, I'll have to try to lift floorboards the bare earth wire in the pic is from one piece of cable that has been opened, one of the black wires from that cable goes to the RHS of the switch the other is in a connector

The one I've marked in yellow and the bare earth wire

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_143431.jpg
    IMG_20240119_143431.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for reply definitely no continuity from rose,
What rose?

I'll have to try to lift floorboards
Why?

the bare earth wire in the pic is from one piece of cable that has been opened,
We can see that.

one of the black wires from that cable
There is only one black wire from that cable.

Can you please be a bit more accurate.

goes to the RHS of the switch the other is in a connector
Yes, we can see that as well.

As Securespark said, (if the landing and porch lights work properly then) that black wire must be a permanent live.

So - is the brown wire in that flex hanging from the ceiling connected to any of the wires at the switch position?

Also - could you post another picture of the switch wiring so we can clearly see which wires go to the connector blocks and which cables those wires come from.

As Securespark said, (if the landing and porch lights work properly then) that black wire must be a permanent live.
As has been demonstrated so many times the obvious may not be correct.
It seems strange the permanent live would be black when there is a red in the cable and it makes me wonder if it is a 'SL' from somewhere.

Have you opened the junction box hanging out of the ceiling to check how the flex is connected to the T&E.?

what's this cable doing?
1705676902757.png

Looks like you have marked 2 different blacks
They're not different Black's the Black's the reds (in the connector block) and the bare earth wire are the same piece of cable, not sure if that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back