Disconnected light

Sponsored Links
This is the junction box from the ceiling

Attachments

• IMG20240119150850.jpg
    IMG20240119150850.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 29
Also I winder if the 'continuity' is via something else like a lamp or two switched on.

EDIT: touche of 'ello 'ello there.... wonder

True.

Yes, but we did say if the other two lights work properly.
Yes but I'm wondering if it's been fudged and maybe that cable is actually strappers to another switch or something.

I'm also thinking that may actually be neutral and something has been messed with elsewhwere. Has any live testing been done yet?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What rose?

Why?

We can see that.

There is only one black wire from that cable.

Can you please be a bit more accurate.

Yes, we can see that as well.

As Securespark said, (if the landing and porch lights work properly then) that black wire must be a permanent live.

So - is the brown wire in that flex hanging from the ceiling connected to any of the wires at the switch position?

Also - could you post another picture of the switch wiring so we can clearly see which wires go to the connector blocks and which cables those wires come from.
I'm trying to explain it as best I can.
I will have to lift floor boards because someone asked how difficult it was to access the cables above the ceiling.
I wasn't sure if it was obvious that one of the cables had been split( apart from the earth wire which hasn't been cut

When I say rose I mean the wires in the ceiling I thought rise was easier than having to say that every time

The black wire RHS of switch is powered regardless of switch position so permanent live?

Yes, ok, but with all those wires at the switch apparently doing nothing, just thought it was a bit early to be lifting floorboards - although we do know a bit more now.

Yes but I'm wondering if it's been fudged and maybe that cable is actually strappers to another switch or something.

I'm also thinking that may actually be neutral and something has been messed with elsewhwere. Has any live testing been done yet?
No

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back