Do all cars have airbags?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read up on the decibels goven off if an airbag deploys.

Does a crash need to be excessive to set them off? They can be 170 decibels.
The reason i ask is that i have hearing damage and trying not make it worse for myself and would prefer relying on a seatbelt alone and take the consequence

Sponsored Links
how many hours per year do you anticipate being next to an exploding airbag?

Curiously enough there isn't a legal requirement for all vehicles to have airbags, but the great majority have.....therefore you can drive one with the airbag removed.
I've no idea what effect this would have on the MOT test or your insurance though!
John :)

Little as possible mate lol.. I am careful when driving and ready to stick my fingers in my ears.. Lol
Seriously though, Not sure if all cars must have them fitted for safety requirements. Newer cars anyway.

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough there isn't a legal requirement for all vehicles to have airbags, but the great majority have.....therefore you can drive one with the airbag removed.
I've no idea what effect this would have on the MOT test or your insurance though!
Yes my thoughts too as airbag warning light flashes which is annoying over time besides an mot fail.
Plus insurance and ' modifying a car'
I'll be having a look for a basic car next year and see ehats about east european or north korean car lol

The only vehicle I've come across without an air bag was a VW Camper, made in Brazil (1400 Polo engine in the back). This was on a 59 plate.
Probably the most dreadful vehicle I have ever encountered.

You would have to remove the airbag and all warning lights to comply with the MOT. That may involve reprogramming the ECU - as it will be looking for the airbag on start up. You can have a dealer switch off passenger airbags dunno about drivers.

Once that is done you would need to contact the insurance company
I would rather go deaf than die

You would have to remove the airbag and all warning lights to comply with the MOT. That may involve reprogramming the ECU - as it will be looking for the airbag on start up. You can have a dealer switch off passenger airbags dunno about drivers.

Once that is done you would need to contact the insurance company
I would rather go deaf than die
I would've said the seatbelt would be the main life saver. My understanding of the airbag is to protect your face and eyes from bits of glass or other fragments etc, downside would be eye injuries though

and head injuries.

In some cases, leg injuries, if it is a modern or quality car festooned with additional bags.

You lose a lot of blood from a broken femur.

Also, a modern European car is likely to be much safer than an older design.

Last edited:
Front airbags prevent head and chest injuries
Head butting the wheel hurts and can crack ribs

its only for a small fractions off a second so possibley no damage to your hearing with possible brain damage or death as a trade off:eek:

If this is your main concern, go for an older car, before everything got fitted with air bags. As others have said though its not like there are many false activations etc, most people probably go through their whole life without ever experiencing an air bag going off...

If this is your main concern, go for an older car, before everything got fitted with air bags. As others have said though its not like there are many false activations etc, most people probably go through their whole life without ever experiencing an air bag going off...
Amen to that., rrgardless if airbags fitted or not

The only vehicle I've come across without an air bag was a VW Camper, made in Brazil (1400 Polo engine in the back). This was on a 59 plate.
Probably the most dreadful vehicle I have ever encountered.
Was it good for camping in? :)

Sponsored Links
Back