Do you fancy having 7 wheelie bins?

Sponsored Links
I've got 4. Adding in a few more small ones wouldn't be a big deal for me.

...we already have 7 'containers'
Food waste caddy
Green waste bag
Glass caddy
Mixed plastic and metal bag
Cardboard bag
Battery bag
Papers bag

+ 2 bin bags of general waste every 2 weeks, soon to be a collection every 3 weeks!

Sponsored Links
We've got two general waste and one paper/plastic recycle one.
Glass, (the most recyclable thing going!), has to go in the general waste in case someone cuts themselves at the recycling depot.
This was the reason I was given after an inspector called, (unannounced), to inspect my recycle bin one day after I had inadvertently put glass bottles in it. My bin was waiting for collection and he turns up and started emptying it on to the floor, bit by bit. He didn't see me in my shed so scared the sh1t out of him when I shouted and demanded to know what the hell he thought he was doing. After he'd explained, I told him I got the sticker and had heeded it, then asked him why it wasn't recycled and that was the answer I was given.
He then went to get in his little van and drive off, leaving my rubbish strewn all over the outer lawn. That ended up with another raised voice from me with threats of calling the police and reporting him for littering. Eventually started to pick it up so I went back to my shed and watched till he finished. Got in his van and roared off.

When my FIL was thinking about selling some of his land to a builder, we got to see the builders plans/spec. He had to provide enough bin space for two wheelie bins. How is someone going to cope with multiple bins if this is all the space they have? The idea is farcical and will not create any more employment, in fact it may reduce it because we would effectively be doing their job for them, instead of employing more at the recycling centres. I'm damn sure we won't get a reduction in our council tax either.

How is someone going to cope with multiple bins if this is all the space they have?
The story itself is the normal sensationalism from the DM - talking about seven 'bins', when it also states seven waste 'receptacles' -

Screenshot_20230327-191543_Chrome.jpg

As I've said, we already have eight waste streams, and that's dealt with bags and caddys. The area I live in, is densely packed terraces, fronting directly onto the road. Seven bins wouldn't work.

Our helpful recycling collectors, even fold up the bags and push them into the largest caddy to stop them blowing away.

We've had this system for a while now, and it seems to work well, encouraging better recycling habits - there are even times when we wonder if it is general waste day - we are sure two weeks have been around, but we've only filled up one bin bag!

CBA with all this malarkey, I just rationalised it. I recycle the plastics, bottles and foil/ali,. Green garden bin gets garden waste plus non meat/dairy food scraps (ie. peelings, egg/nut shells, etc, etc) and everything else goes in black bin. When I get used engine oil or car batteries those get recycled too.

We've got only one recycle bin...

A nearby town has four...

They all end up at the same recycling facility!

Misleading carp at its best

why try an honest suggestion when misleading over hyped will sell advertising
set a senario that will never happen to stir things up then stir a bit more and a bit more because hatred anger and misleading sells papers and with no social conscience to help towards a helpful cohesive society the venom by some for a divided society seems more important than honest well presented facts???

Last edited:
Misleading carp at its best

why try an honest suggestion when misleading over hyped will sell advertising
set a senario that will never happen to stir things up then stir a bit more and a bit more because hatred anger and misleading sells papers and with no social conscience to help towards a helpful cohesive society the venom by some for a divided society seems more important than honest well presented facts???
Daily Wail bait story. Dribbling old morons can't get enough of 'em.

One Wheely bin here for garden waste the rest is bin bags collected every week

i can remember anna soubery mp on i think a politics show going on about that "bastion off truth the daily mail " and she is a solicitor and wondering how narrow her focus off attention must be to think that :rolleyes:

It's all just for show. Whatever bin you put stuff in and however much time you spend carefully rinsing containers out, a substantial amount ends up in an incinerator.

Plastic recycling hardly ever existed, it was all lies to justify the disposable packaging industry's products.

Put a plastic bottle in either bin, it will get burnt. Put a bean tin in either bin, it will get pulled out by a magnet and recycled after it gets burnt.

It's all emperor's new clothes, no council wants to be the one to admit it's all nonsense so they carry on getting us to separate everything so they can re-combine it all together and set fire to it.

Incineration isn't a terrible thing, it generates electricity so in effect it's an oil-fuelled power station where the fuel gets an additional prior purpose as packaging before being burnt. Some of the fuel is even carbon-neutral, e.g. paper and food. As we're still using other forms of fossil fuels to generate electricity it's actually not a bad thing. The bonus is that we're no longer throwing all this rubbish in the ground where it generates methane gas and pollutes groundwater.

We could probably go back to one bin collected weekly and not be much worse off, plus save a load of messing about.

Sponsored Links
Back