Does anybody think a 2nd spike is likely

Confess I don't know what he means really.

It's in the article .

The term "dark matter" is more familiar in cosmology. In cosmology, it is taken to represent something you surmise exists (because the final outcome pretty much requires it to, with your current understanding), but you can neither observe it, nor definitively know what it is.

In the German case, Friston is taking the outcome (very low apparent death rate), which he can't account for it with the known data. So he's invoking some unknown factor (s) ; the "dark matter".
His guesses at what this dark matter is, are :

- People who are isolated enough to be beyond realistic chance of infection;
- People with some form of natural / preexisting immunity.

I think?

Sponsored Links

I haven't read it yet, but my first skim of the first paragraph seems reasonable.
Wasn't it the Chinese doctors who first reported "viral pneumonia", which is what the rest of the world's doctors were priming themselves for? And then the virus hit, and the confusing and apparently disparate range of issues manifested themselves......

It seems likely, how bad it will be, Ive no idea.

note: I accept the economy has to get going again, but a serious spike would force tighter lockdown measures.

Does anybody think a 2nd spike is likely - it is not just likely, it is inevitable.

The plagues and black death all had multiple spikes. Death toll so for for UK only 60,000 or so, it will be more, maybe if no vaccine found it will go on for 3-4 years with 100k or so being killed each year.
We're only really 4 months in, here in the UK.

Sponsored Links
I haven't read it yet, but my first skim of the first paragraph seems reasonable.
Wasn't it the Chinese doctors who first reported "viral pneumonia", which is what the rest of the world's doctors were priming themselves for? And then the virus hit, and the confusing and apparently disparate range of issues manifested themselves......
I guess so, would've been impossible at the beginning to understand for sure what's going on. I guess China just saw other flu-like symptoms/ and how easily spread it is. Certainly isn't flu (as you said earlier) and it seems to be leaving the doctors flabbergasted at times. Mad times for sure.

Does anybody think a 2nd spike is likely?

A strong likelihood in the next two weeks in various locations - Extinction Rebellion demo in London, Black Lives Matter demo in London, various packed coastal resorts............. Morons, every single one of them.

You and transam are when you keep on referring to CV19 as the flu.

Why do you have to bring Transam into this.... I may have referred to it as the flue
You love to pick a fight. Don't you.

When I go on about winter I talk about common flu and colds bringing people's defences down. Same as I said with Hay fever coming into spring.
Sufferers rubbing their eyes and their noses.
Immune systems at their lowest.
Lack of Vitamin D. Maybe feeling a bit low.

That's winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inevitable.
South Korea opened their schools, then shut 200 of them less than a week later (due to a spike in cases). Possibly due to a parent (working in an infected distribution centre nearby) infecting their kid.

As Jonbey said earlier (and I have posted previously too), this could well be the case of huge numbers of CV deaths, but just over a period elongated by various distancing and lockdown controls (which themselves are fraught with negative social and economic effects).

Flue, Father Christmas supposed preferred form of entry.
Flu, short for influenza.

That won't help, Bobby.

Influenza :mrgreen:

Try this, @Bodd .......... there's no "e" in "flu", like there's no "e" in "lurgy".(y)

Now I get you.... Thst one Flew right over my head... Flue no e.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back