Does basin waste pipe need 'drop' under floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to run my previously exposed sink feeds and waste pipe into the wall cavity.

I notice the horizontal part of the waste pipe that runs a couple of meters and joins the bath waste and goes outside, it just lies on the floor. Does it need to have a drop so the water drains outside? I can only imagine water sitting in it constantly otherwise, maybe that doesn't matter?

20200505_151616.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes,it should have a fall ,downward slope ,as should all waste pipework.

Yes,it should have a fall ,downward slope ,as should all waste pipework.

And how would this normally be done, just a little support at one end? Also, surely they would have thought of this before, but I don't see any drop, its just running along the floor

Horizontal waste pipes would be clipped ( pipe supports ) every half metre ( roughly) to prevent sagging . Some don't give a **** and do as they please. Bit like people who drive at 50 mph in a 30mph zone, cos they are in a hurry and they know full well they shouldn't.

Sponsored Links
Horizontal waste pipes would be clipped ( pipe supports ) every half metre ( roughly) to prevent sagging . Some don't give a **** and do as they please. Bit like people who drive at 50 mph in a 30mph zone, cos they are in a hurry and they know full well they shouldn't.

Thanks, good to know. So in my situation, you can see the waste runs between the two copper pipes. I guess I can just cut varying size bits of wood to create a drop from start to finish. Is the an idea angle to try and achieve? I can't raise the pipe much as the ply will be going on top of it

From memory ,I think it's minimum fall of 18mm per metre . But happy to be corrected , my memory isn't what it used to be :D:D:D

From memory ,I think it's minimum fall of 18mm per metre . But happy to be corrected , my memory isn't what it used to be :D:D:D
Wow thats a lot more I thought, it would add up to quite a height after a few metres! I guess I'll just do the maximum I can, and chock it up with some little wood blocks

The reason for a run is basically to ensure a dry line for a couple of reasons (or maybe three )
a) To prevent stagnant water getting frozen and building up an ice dam. As the pipe is internal you can ignore that one
b) To prevent the collection of waxes etc from soap, hair and skin building up and blocking the pipe. Can't be avoided but use of an occasional drain cleaner will eliminate the problem if it ever arises.
A flat sink drain may not be 'right' by the book but if it meets your needs then you have to do what you have to do.

And dismantle your wall when the pipe blocks

The issue I realised today is that I can raise the pip at all because there is no space under the floor boards. I don't really know what the solution would be to get some fall

Run it on the surface ,and box it in ? Run it thru two studs and bring it down in the corner ?

Run it on the surface ,and box it in ? Run it thru two studs and bring it down in the corner ?

Hmm, what about joining it to the larger toilet waste, is that possible? Currently it runs to the opposite side of the room and I can't get to most of it without ripping everything up

Sounds like an awful long run of pipe, and a load of hassle for no real gain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back