Does basin waste pipe need 'drop' under floorboards?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an awful long run of pipe, and a load of hassle for no real gain.

Yeah it seems like a long run of pipe to me too, it also goes across the room to join the bath waste, then goes out the wall and back in the opposite direction along the house.

Any ideas? Can I somehow join it to the toilet waste, is this a done thing?

It joins with the waste from the boiler and goes along the side of the house and attaches to the main waste down pipe
So where it exits the wall with an elbow, could you change that for a T with an access cap so you could push a wire/drainsnake up the basin run ?

So where it exits the wall with an elbow, could you change that for a T with an access cap so you could push a wire/drainsnake up the basin run ?

Sorry I don't understand! I've never done any plumbing before :) Whats a drain snake? The drain isn't blocked, I just am wondering how to get a fall on it, or possibly re-route it a better way

Sponsored Links
OK the drain snake is like a net curtain wire. You poke it through pipes to clear debris. Even with a minimum fall, a waste from a basin can get soap etc. debris laying in the bottom. Liquid cleaner is one way to clear this but access for a wire/snake is better in my opinion. Can you post a pic. of the bath waste/basin join and one of the combined waste outside - then we can see if an access T could be cut in. From what I have seen of your layout there isn't much option inside:(

Sorry I don't understand! I've never done any plumbing before :) Whats a drain snake? The drain isn't blocked, I just am wondering how to get a fall on it, or possibly re-route it a better way
Maybe he means for when it does bung up.

Whichever way you do it..You cannot have a horizontal waste pipe a few metres long.

A couple of pictures of the basin waste and toilet waste and how they relate to each other in the bathroom would help.

A couple of pictures of the basin waste and toilet waste and how they relate to each other in the bathroom would help.

Thanks. So I've pulled up another floorboard, and found that the second section (grey) pipe has a decent fall to where it meets the bath waste and goes outside. It's just the white pipe you can see that lies flat.

I was considering running the waste into the wall in the corner, then through the uprights to the sink. You can see in my diagram the basic idea. What do you think?

Otherwise the toilet will be next to the sink, so I thought possible the sink waste couple join that, but it feels more messy

Thanks again, you guys are super helpful!

20200507_105750.jpg

You can leave it horizontal if you like- just be prepared for a very slow-draining sink and potential problems with it freezing up at the hopper outside.
Options;
1 Increase the height of your false floor
2 Box it in
3 Reduce the height of the other end of the pipe (might be tricky, might not, depends whether it drops into a hopper or is bossed into a stack pipe) and cut it into the old floorboards

Ahh, that's helpful (the pics). Is that grey pipe in the wall for the loo? If yes then you can join to that (of course the pipe will be visible). Not sure that cutting into those studs will be a great idea.....

whats going on the floor for the sink, does it have a plinth ? If so then you have the height of the plinth , before it hits the bottom of a cupboard
Also wheres the New Toilet outlet running too and water for Cistern
Pipe work could go back to the Studs
I did that in our bathroom/combined ensuite partition stud wall - to get the most space and minimal boxing in

Ahh, that's helpful (the pics). Is that grey pipe in the wall for the loo? If yes then you can join to that (of course the pipe will be visible). Not sure that cutting into those studs will be a great idea.....

Yeah that grey pipe is the toilet waste. It was a corner toilet. The new toilet will go on the left wall next to the sink, and the waste will run horizontally to the wall. How do you attach a sink waste to a toilet waste? And it will look horrible as it will be exposed.

Why would you not make holes in the studs? You think it would weaken them too much? In a way it seems like the neatest/easiest option. But I'm not a pro so happy to have the advice?

whats going on the floor for the sink, does it have a plinth ? If so then you have the height of the plinth , before it hits the bottom of a cupboard
Also wheres the New Toilet outlet running too and water for Cistern
Pipe work could go back to the Studs
I did that in our bathroom/combined ensuite partition stud wall - to get the most space and minimal boxing in

Yeah the sink goes on a pedestal. I will run all water feeds into the wall and then out to go to toilet and sink. Toilet waste will go horizontal to that grey hole in the wall.

My issue is just getting a fall on the white section of sink waste pipe, hence thinking about putting it in the wall too. It's not been causing issues so I could leave it lying flat on the floor as is. But doesn't seem great, and thus is the only chance to fix anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back