Does basin waste pipe need 'drop' under floorboards?

the toilet waste is quite away from the wall, and what sort of fall will be on that , with the new toilet by the sink
Just ask, as i went through all this , when I redisigned our en-suite and family bathroom, and had a lot of the issues you are facing

Sponsored Links
the toilet waste is quite away from the wall, and what sort of fall will be on that , with the new toilet by the sink
Just ask, as i went through all this , when I redisigned our en-suite and family bathroom, and had a lot of the issues you are facing

I think the toilet waste should be fine, as it's low down on the external wall, naturally coming off the back of the toilet there will be a decent fall

It's just the sink waste I need to work out!

If your toilet is not a back to the wall style you may be able to utilise this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...oECA4QAw&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=IiZaLbYvn_tQ3M
Your 32mm sink waste would fit into the boss and only have a short distance to travel with whatever fall you want on it. If you do use this however I'd fit a sink waste with an air admittance valve to prevent your WC flush pulling the water seal from your trap and allowing foul air to enter through the sink.

If your toilet is not a back to the wall style you may be able to utilise this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...oECA4QAw&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=IiZaLbYvn_tQ3M
Your 32mm sink waste would fit into the boss and only have a short distance to travel with whatever fall you want on it. If you do use this however I'd fit a sink waste with an air admittance valve to prevent your WC flush pulling the water seal from your trap and allowing foul air to enter through the sink.

Thanks, this is the toilet I just ordered
https://victoriaplum.com/product/orchard-elena-close-coupled-toilet-with-soft-close-seat

But the toilet waste will be going out horizontally so that piece you linked to won't work. But thanks, there might be one made of horizontal toilet wastes.

If I did do it this way, would I just cut and cap off the waste pipe that goes to the bath, as close to the bath waste as possible?

Sponsored Links
Yeah that grey pipe is the toilet waste. It was a corner toilet. The new toilet will go on the left wall next to the sink, and the waste will run horizontally to the wall. How do you attach a sink waste to a toilet waste? And it will look horrible as it will be exposed.

Why would you not make holes in the studs? You think it would weaken them too much? In a way it seems like the neatest/easiest option. But I'm not a pro so happy to have the advice?
What size are the studs and are your running 32 or 40mm waste. It'll be a neater solution to run them through the studs, but the studs might needs reinforcing dependent on size.

The Mcalpine WC connector is just shown in a vertical orientation for the image, you can fit it however you like.

What size are the studs and are your running 32 or 40mm waste. It'll be a neater solution to run them through the studs, but the studs might needs reinforcing dependent on size.

The studs are 3" wide and I'd need to go through 4 of them. Two of the four are 2" thick, the other two are just over 1" thick. Some of them are very close together for some reason.

The basin waste is 32mm, which is about 36mm external diameter. Is probably need a 40mm hole, which would leave about 20mm of the stud on either side of the hole. What do you reckon.

And how would I re enforce the studs

20200507_170055.jpg

The Mcalpine WC connector is just shown in a vertical orientation for the image, you can fit it however you like.
I would have thought if it was fitted horizontally the sh!te could be forced into the the sink waste but thats only my view.
op, is that 32mm cos it looks a little fat from the scale of the water pipes

Thanks yeah I realised after looking. All these pan connectors say they have a valve, but say nothing about connecting basin waste.

I would have thought if it was fitted horizontally the sh!te could be forced into the the sink waste but thats only my view.
op, is that 32mm cos it looks a little fat from the scale of the water pipes
Yeah it's 32mm the waste pipe. 36mm external

The studs are 3" wide and I'd need to go through 4 of them. Two of the four are 2" thick, the other two are just over 1" thick. Some of them are very close together for some reason.

The basin waste is 32mm, which is about 36mm external diameter. Is probably need a 40mm hole, which would leave about 20mm of the stud on either side of the hole. What do you reckon.

And how would I re enforce the studs

View attachment 191646
Can you afford to lose 20mm or so from the room?
I’d notch the stud out on the bathroom side to the full depth of the waste pipe, put the pipe in place and then reinforce the stud with some 2 x 1, full height of the stud, so that the pipe is sandwiched between the stud and the 2 x 1. You’d have to pack out all the studs on that wall to the same amount so that you have a flat surface to plasterboard.

then you don’t have to mess about trying to drill a central hole in each stud or trying to bend and thread the waste through the holes.

Can you afford to lose 20mm or so from the room?
I’d notch the stud out on the bathroom side to the full depth of the waste pipe, put the pipe in place and then reinforce the stud with some 2 x 1, full height of the stud, so that the pipe is sandwiched between the stud and the 2 x 1. You’d have to pack out all the studs on that wall to the same amount so that you have a flat surface to plasterboard.

then you don’t have to mess about trying to drill a central hole in each stud or trying to bend and thread the waste through the holes.

Its a good idea, but the room is tiny anyway, like really tiny width! But just before leaving today I managed to move the copper pipes out the way a bit from under the bath, which let the waste pipe sit a little lower. I got a level on it and from the sink to the corner of the room the waste pipe drops about 1.5cm, which is enough I think for a 1m span. The issue then is it travels another half meter and is totally level, so this could have a build up. I'm thinking I might be able to cut a bit out of a floor board and possibly get a little drop on this section. This would solve all my problems, but I'll have to see tomorrow! It's still a long run for the sink waste, which isn't ideal but it should work

Thanks for all the advice. And if the above fails I may just opt for joining it to the toilet waste

Ive got a less than ideal fall on one waste but have made access to where the vertical joins the horizontal and fitted a T with screw cap so it can be rodded if needed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back