Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Doesn't apply to me

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the usual advice of "not to travel unless your journey is absolutely essential".
What does this mean? The local travel news never actually tell you if its safe to drive to work or not.

Do you count going to work as an essential journey when they say this?

Sponsored Links
No work for me today (well a bit of paperwork)

Went and rescued the car from the pub and made an essential trip to the supermarket for coffee :D

"Dont drive unless its absolutely nessecary AND you know how to drive in inclement weather"

F***ing idiots on my street, one came round the corner out of control in a Peugeot 206, then insisted on trying to drive as fast as possible, I've seen people with little peep holes in their windows to see out of. What is it about this weather that makes people act stupidly?

Sponsored Links
Whilst on the subject of crap drivers - what's with people using their fog lights today? It's snow on the ground, not fog... how thick are these people...

inexperience

I think that the more damage they do to their cars, the more experienced they will become ;)

Seriously, nothing makes you respect ice and snow like a £1000 bill from the garage after you smack something at a ridiculously low speed.

I was 20 miles from home last night and drove back on the (ungritted) A1 in about 3 inches of snow. I was pleasantly surprised at just how sensible most people were, few ventured over 30mph. None of the usual 90mph crowd ignoring the fact that traction control and stability control don't magic away the ice! :LOL:

As to work journeys being "essential", it depends what your employer is like. Mine is great, and allows snow-days, home-working etc. However, my line manager doesn't believe in anything like that so to stay at home today would involve a lot of shouting tomorrow.

Less hassle just to come in (would I be saying that if I'd donked a lamp-post on the way in though?!)

i'm sure if we suffered long snow covered winters as in Canada or Russia, then i'm certain sooner or later all of us would need to make a journey in the snow.

eventually all journeys would be essential or else we would starve ffs. :rolleyes:

Pah!
Southern pooftas! whinging about a little bit of snow on the news...
worst for 19 years my backside! :D :D

I still went shopping to Asda in it. :D

My "essential" journey today.....

3am set off from Derby
9am arrive Stranraer
12am arrive Belfast
2.30pm arrive Dublin

Only 430miles :D

Off to Sligo in the morning...

Nick.

I notice it is the lead story on the national news because it has snowed in london.

There was barely a mention when it were 6 foot deep wi' snow up north 6 weeks or so ago :rolleyes:

Southern pooftas!
Indeed, similar to what I mumbled at the guy at the station "shandy swigging southern poofters" when he told me all the trains were cancelled because of a bit of snow.

When I was living up north I used to goto work in 2ft of snow with no bother, but down here everything stops. Central London was deserted today.

Obviously depends on your job and your employer/client.

I tried a couple of routes (whilst giving the boss a lift) and we decided the risk of a minor accident and loosing NCB/risking minor injury was not worth it just to get to the office. Spent a nice morning out and about in the village then made a few phone calls and emails and had enough work to see the afternoon through at home. Probably have a few irate clients tomorrow, but they're always wanting things yesterday, so what's another day :)

Had a chat with a guy on the back roads heading into town, he was a consultant at the local hospital. He went on, I went home.

I could have made it in, but would only have picked stuff up and headed back at lunchtime for fear of the afternoon forecast coming true. It's all about risk assessments ;)

Sponsored Links
Back