Driver awareness course ......

Sponsored Links
I told them I would lose money attending the course. Their response was "It's your fault for speeding"...

Bad drivers, imo, never learn. Do you think drunk drivers learn a lesson if they get stopped by the police? I know at least one who has driven drunk after being stopped, sent through the courts, disqual'd etc.. And they go back for more. Another got disqual'd and carried on regardless.

So why tar everyone with the same brush. Don't you think it's miserable enough already for people ? Would you have the national speed limit dropped to 20 to stop people even entering 4th gear ?

Most accidents happen at low speed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For those calling for tougher driving tests or more frequent tests. I assume you have all done and passed an advanced driving test? Its cheaper than the speed awareness / driver improvement course.

FYI the maximum speed you can safely pass through traffic lights is about 50-55mph. Its 3 seconds from green to red, which allowing for reaction times means that if you were going any quicker you would not stop in the time/distance it took you to go from green to red.

If I don't log any improvement in your attitude, you will get the points on your license AND have no refund of the course

A smart arse might have asked her if she was aware of Sec 127 of the Magistrates Act 1980 (1)

I do have a problem with the speed kills / lets all drive slower to be safer argument.

Claim: 80% people die if hit by a car doing 40mph, 80% live if the car is doing 20mph. So we should slow down.. This confusing free travelling speed with impact speed. Reality According to government stats 53% of cars exceed the 30mph speed limit. (2), yet less than 1.6% of pedestrians hit die.

Irrelevant. Higher speed kills.
Don't confuse impact speed with free travelling speed. Motorways carry the most traffic at the highest speeds with the fewest casualties.

What you actually have to do is teach people how to asses risk and drive according to the conditions.

(1) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/43/section/127

(2) https://assets.publishing.service.g.../vehicle-speed-compliance-statistics-2016.pdf

(3) https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/448036/pedestrian-casualties-2013-data.pdf

Ok... So imagine a scenario whereby on the 1st Jan your are flashed speeding.
2 weeks later you get the NIP, you have 1 month to respond.
end of feb your response is processed
mid march you are offered speed awareness with a deadline to respond
end of the month you accept the offer.
you pay your fee in April and book on to the course scheduled in mid June.
you do your course and "fail"
the course "tutor" refers you back for prosecution.
you are offered a conditional fixed penalty with a time limit.
you allow that to lapse
CPS consider this mid of July earliest
July they issue papers to court who take a further few weeks to schedule (it actually takes months)
you respond that the case is out of time and must be dismissed.

I used to race motorcycles hitting speeds in excess of 180mph. Why did I feel so much safer on the track than I ever have on the highway?

For those calling for tougher driving tests or more frequent tests. I assume you have all done and passed an advanced driving test? Its cheaper than the speed awareness / driver improvement course.

The appeal to authority argument you present doesn't dismiss everyone elses ability to spot poor driving.

If one can so easily spot bad driving - not over confident it won't happen to me bad driving but I don't know what the hell I'm doing bad, is it not a genuine concern that the driving test as is might be allowing people to drive unaccompanied who simply aren't equipped to do so?

Everyone’s had a briefing?
No ones driving on the phone?
Cause your so fast there was no one near you?

Everyone’s had a briefing?
No ones driving on the phone?
Cause your so fast there was no one near you?

That bloke a few feet in front, he's just that little bit better than me. The bloke literally inches behind, he's just that little bit worse. Anytime now we're all going to hit the brakes & hit them hard. He who brakes last & still makes the corner wins.

Most motorsport racers say that they feel safer on the track despite it being hideously more dangerous. When you line up on the grid you know that everyone else is just as good as you & you have to have an immense amount of trust & respect to race with other riders at silly speeds within inches. That trust does not come from simply knowing the bloke, it comes from the fact that he's here, he's in the same place as you 'cos he shares your ability.

They let anybody out on the highway.

The appeal to authority argument you present doesn't dismiss everyone elses ability to spot poor driving.

If one can so easily spot bad driving - not over confident it won't happen to me bad driving but I don't know what the hell I'm doing bad, is it not a genuine concern that the driving test as is might be allowing people to drive unaccompanied who simply aren't equipped to do so?

A lot of the training is allowing others to make mistakes.
]I could never work out why so few pedestrians are killed on our motorways.....:rolleyes:

1.6% pedestrians killed as a %age of all injuries for urban roads with a 30mph speed limit.

The Learner test standard - is supposed to be a standard sufficient to continue learning unsupervised.

Sponsored Links
Back