Drought !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are an island surrounded by water & famous for our rainfall.

Yet the sun has shined recently, so therefore we must not ever use a hosepipe ever again to water our land.

You heard it here first, but your month of August will be defined by your legacy meedya making you feel guilty for having green grass.

Sponsored Links
That all depends on where you live, young man.
Down south is becoming dry, while here in the midlands i can hose down the garden whenever i likes.

August will be defined by your legacy meedya making you feel guilty for having green grass.
If we have so much 'famous rainfall' why would people feel guilty about having green grass? Why would they even need a hose pipe to water it.

Dork - talking bowlacks as per.

Sponsored Links
I heard part of a program where Anglian Water representative, seems to have got things right and have enough water not to need a drought warning , hose pipe etc , only problem to them will be if its a dry winter , which is rare with a dry summer - cant remember the program , but it was on radio 4 this week. How true , i have no idea as i dont live in the area , but my M-i-L lives in Essex and does not seem to have a problem when we were on bans a few years ago.

We get lots of rain, but we assume it will be spread relatively evenly over the country and over the year. Because we assume that we aren't set up for very dry summers in some regions. We don't have much storage, and that storage can run out, and we can't pump all the water we'd like from Wales and Scotland to the South.

So, either we fix our insanely leaky pipe network, have hosepipe bans when needed or dig huge new reservoirs, or build massive pipes across the country to handle a few months every few years.

All of which, except hosepipe bans, cost money.

Migrants, coming over here using our water!!! There would be no drought or threat of hosepipe bans if it wasn't for those pesky migrants!!!

<sarcastic mode off>

In brilliant joined up thinking all new houses are built with tiny gardens, meaning less lawn to water.
But the houses themselves sit on land, or are they building them to hover above the ground? The desire for houses with a view means thousands are built on flood plains, which means the flood water is forced into other areas and doesn't replenish aquifers, then there's increased abstraction from rivers to deliver water to all these new houses. As a start, all houses built on historical flood plain sites should be compulsorily purchased and flattened.

Pitsford Resi, Northants is still full, but not overflowing of the stuff !

But the houses themselves sit on land, or are they building them to hover above the ground? The desire for houses with a view means thousands are built on flood plains, which means the flood water is forced into other areas and doesn't replenish aquifers, then there's increased abstraction from rivers to deliver water to all these new houses. As a start, all houses built on historical flood plain sites should be compulsorily purchased and flattened.
Goodbye Norfolk, we might miss you.

Sponsored Links
Back