Ealing council smoking police

Looking at the litter decorating our roadsides the fine should be £1500

Having just returned from the evil Euroland across the water, I'm shocked how bad the rubbish is in UK. Driving on the M32 in Bristol Xmas Eve the sides of the motorway were strewn with litter with long pieces of pallet wrap presumably from an indusrial estate adorning the trees like some kind of Xmas decoration. Visited Aldi yesterday which is on a large council estate. Seems the residents have regular decluttering sessions, where they pile their unwanted furniture and assorted household items either outside their houses or on the nearest green space. A large grass area had some big commercial wheelie bins upturned on it with rubbish and filth blown over a large area. Yet more household items were also dumped around these bins. The litter bins outside the shops don't seem to have been emptied for a while either, as these were overflowing onto the pavement. Not sure if this is a failure of council to clear waste because of lack of drivers, but it reminded me of townships in South Africa, where they just dump all their rubbish behind their houses.

Sponsored Links
Where i live, the area around mcds is full of their ****. It's on the floor, on the benches, in the streams, car parks etc.
It is a mess. I spoke to the manager once about it. "Not our problem" was his curt response.

Righto. Next time you put a application in the area for a new premises or expansion, I'll be lodging an appeal.

No other company has the litter footprint of mcds.

**** em.
This claim

Sponsored Links
DEFRA's guidance to environmental officers specifically says please don't fine little old ladies for feeding ducks because it makes a mockery of the law.
So does fining, or attempting to fine people for unintentionally dropping stuff. But it doesn't stop them doing this.

Oops.

I know that they are not obliged to ask you to pick up the litter. This is the problem. But the advice to them is that they ask the litterer to pick it up before they move to issuing a fine.

As to dropping cash, I beg to differ. The wording in the law is litter and that word is defined as waste products. A bank note is not waste.

For those of you that think that ALL littering deserves to result in a fine...

Did the woman in Ealing Broadway that purchased a coffee, didn't like the taste of it, poured the contents of the cup down the drain next to the bin and then deposited the empty cup in to the bin deserve a fine? She explained that she didn't want the contents of the cup to run through the bin and all over the pavement.

What about the non-smoker who noticed that a cigarette butt was stuck in the treads of his shoe?

Or the woman who removed a stone from inside her shoe?

Did the woman who proved via CCTV footage that she did not drop her cigarette deserve to be fined?

Then there are numerous stories of mothers being fined because their infant in a pram dropped something. DEFRA are pretty clear in their advice that children under the age of 10 are not legally able to litter.

Freedom of Information requests by Manifestoclub show that:

"The 73 councils that employed a private company to issue litter fines in 2018 together issued 214,646 fines – an average of 2940 per authority.

The 230 councils that did not employ a private company together issued 36,032 – an average of 157 per authority."

Liverpool recently ended their contract with Kingdom after the public asked why 65% of all fines were related to cigarette butts in the city centre.

Getting back to Ealing, I did ask the head of the relevant department why joggers who throw their water bottles on to the floor whilst participating in the Ealing half marathon are not subject to fines. I never did get reply. Other attempts to find out why no FPN are issued during council backed events received no answer either.

I do not like litter. I am not condoning littering. I am however concerned that after treating car drivers like cash cows, cash strapped councils are allowing firms proven to be dishonest to treat smokers and others as the new cash cows.

Where i live, the area around mcds is full of their ****. It's on the floor, on the benches, in the streams, car parks etc.
It is a mess. I spoke to the manager once about it. "Not our problem" was his curt response.

Righto. Next time you put a application in the area for a new premises or expansion, I'll be lodging an appeal.

No other company has the litter footprint of mcds.

**** em.

Yes, and look at how McDonalds run lavish advertisements claiming themselves to be protectors of the environment!

I've never been a climate change / tree hugger type, but I do believe that folk should care for their environment - the environment being such places as you own street and its litter problem.

There are fewer plastic shopping bags in litter since shops became obliged to charge for them. How could this be applied to McDs and their like? Make them charge for their boxes and packets?; tax them on each box?; fine them an amount per item found in litter? make the customer pay for the box or bring his own plate in?

Have you thought of picking up all the McDs litter until you amass a few tons of it, and then taking it into one of their "restaurants"?

Yes, and look at how McDonalds run lavish advertisements claiming themselves to be protectors of the environment!

I've never been a climate change / tree hugger type, but I do believe that folk should care for their environment - the environment being such places as you own street and its litter problem.

There are fewer plastic shopping bags in litter since shops became obliged to charge for them. How could this be applied to McDs and their like? Make them charge for their boxes and packets?; tax them on each box?; fine them an amount per item found in litter? make the customer pay for the box or bring his own plate in?

Have you thought of picking up all the McDs litter until you amass a few tons of it, and then taking it into one of their "restaurants"?

Would love nothing more than dumping a weeks worth of their **** on the restaurant floor but i don't fancy being arrested lol

opps was writing about what he saw and heard, making a claim about a company being the biggest cause of littering should be backed up with evidence

If they can't be bothered to use it, they deserve all they get. Worst offenders for littering around here are the council's refuse collectors.

Same here. They used to always have a brush and shovel to clear up there spillages, but to be fair, they do (sometimes) chase the bin lorry a few days later with a road/path sweeper.

Sponsored Links
Back