Easing lockdown.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When do we think this will happen?

I’m thinking it will start with travel easing around mid May and some shops.

with broader relaxation around mid June

restaurants will be end of the summer.

pubs in the winter

what say you?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Never. This is it until we die. Get used to it.
I have, and I am starting to enjoy it - no friends or family visiting or to visit, I'm getting very very used to it. But it will come to an end, and that end will reveal a collapsed economy followed by a collapsed society, then we will enter covid-faze2 with bells on. Enjoy every day you can because the future is very dark.
On that cheery note I will head out for my daily bike ride, it's another beautiful sunny morning.

I think it will depend on the daily infection rate when they decide to make changes. Where they are running now and probably when this lock down end it will be too high to do much in the line of easing them. The pillar 4 testing might have produced useful results by then but some how I doubt it. It's not really clear when it started or how they picked people to monitor. Fruit pickers from furloughed people in June has been mentioned - ;) bit of a slip in some ways maybe.

Jeremy Hunt isn't in the cabinet now but is running the enquiry they always have when something is going on. Quizzing the experts etc. He didn't make much in the line of noises about increasing testing until shortly before they did so may still be a Tory faithful and in the know. He resigned when Boris became PM. He's been talking about the Asian approach. To be effective that would mean taking things back to where it started and getting it right this time. Say 10 infections a day or less and keeping it there. I assume these are hospital entries. Some rather low number anyway.

Asian approach. China still ok and no domestic cases. Not possible to find out if that is still the case. Singapore ok for some time and then an explosion put down to migrant workers that do the low paid jobs - construction etc. They live in domitories 25 at a time so are now being split up more. S Korea also handled it but had population problems - took no notice for a while as thought it was over so numbers shot up then bought back under control again. Singapore has been seen as the gold standard for handling it. Probably relates to people being kept working by sending them to work in shifts. Their economy is seen as magic as well as it defies expectations from when they went on alone.

The Korean population became upset about people coming in carrying it. Not sure what happened as a result. China - 14 days isolation and there has been cases. Singapore pass but migrant workers suddenly a problem.

Thermal scanners always seem to be involved. I think our lot are being a bit thick on that but we do have a proportion of people with different coloured skin. Also no idea of what impact they have but probably better than nothing. Masks seem to always figure and not high end ones so can't be to prevent catching it. Our lot are muttering about a possible increase in facial contact. Sounds rather lame to me. To be reuseable and limit other things I suspect they would need to be pure cotton as well and involve some care in use. Need a lot too.

High end masks might be useful for people in longer periods of isolation who can't avoid going out now and again to risky places. Leave it unused for 3+ days and indications are the virus would be dead. Maybe 10 million or more people though.

Mobile phone type tracking figures. Korea mentioned fitting people who didn't isolate with anklets they couldn't remove themselves. Some seem to use passports downloaded to the phone. Clear, isolate etc. Might just be China. Don't know. Korea keeps data for 21 days. Personally I can't see any problem with that.

Germany and Ireland are using verbal tracking - ask infected who they have been near. Ok, probably depressing the curve but not well enough. Germany has the army testing some sort of phone tracking. Not sure what our 18,000 will be doing. If no message from the phones can't involve that aspect. Google and Apple attitude will probably result in more deaths and frankly I find it hard to believe that there aren't people about who could do what ever they liked with phones. Anyway a phone could phone another where data was dumped into a data base.

LOL Depressing aint it. Best maintain a detached view of it all. I smell chances of a cock up again.

Think the cock-up started with Kier Starmer pushing the question to the forefront the other week. In my opinion he would have been much better waiting another 3 or 4 weeks.

When will it start - guess shortly after the next review meeting (7th May); but I think it should have been at the end of May to be more certain.

But saying that I don't see a problem with outside workers remaining at or being at work now.

Last edited:
I smell chances of a cock up again.
I may on occasions be slightly critical of this government, however on the issue of relaxing the lockdown I dont see that an increase in cases should be seen as a cock up.

being a novel virus, we don't have the biological nor statistical information that can define what to do next.

The only thing the government can do is decide a policy, try it, test and revise if the infection rate soars.

what say you?

TBH, I haven't got any feel for what is likely -I think your estimation is perhaps on the optimistic side, but its as good a guess as any.

I only say that because it seems to me until a vaccine or treatment is available, social distancing will have to remain 100% in place. that really restricts social places like pubs and restaruants.

Sponsored Links
Back