Eating in the 50s

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
British was atrocious until quite recently. In the 70's it was often disgusting. I used to throw up at school during mealtimes, as did some others. Catering was by Porton Down. They sent us stuff that was too toxic for their labs to handle. Parmesan came in a small cardboard shaker. I was envious of an Asian friend who had a nice packed lunch, in an indian tiffen tin.

Just because your school had shoite fayre, doesn't mean every school did.
In the same way that you argue that, just because a few extremists do something bad, doesn't make most Muslims bad. ;)

But I only know about my school food. I do know that bad food was widespread in Leicestershire schools. Feel free to add your experiences.

Dinner was a "proper meal" every day. I never stayed school dinners. I was lucky!
Sunday tea after a large roast "Sunday Dinner" would be things like Tinned salmon sandwiches. Tinned fruit with Carnation milk. Salad (only) in Summer.
We didn't have a fridge until about 1963. A "Gascold" gas fridge. I remember when it was because it was about the time "Doctor Who" started, and I turned the box it came in into a "Tardis".

We used to get the Winkle Man come round every Sunday Evening (No, not Claudia unfortunately). Cockles, Winkles, mussels, prawns and shrimps. It was sold off the back of a cart but I'm not sure that H&S would allow that these days.

I have to say that our school dinners were great. Our school moved to a brand new building and the food changed too. It changed from the usual gruel to Pizzas, cheeseburgers, chips, toffee pudding. Ok, ok, I know it wasn't healthy but as kids we loved it
I suspect you are a youngster.
Pizzas and cheeseburgers hadn't been invented in my day.

Yes along with jarred fish paste sandwiches. We used a hammer to jar them. :)

On confectionery, anyone remember when Fry's chocolate cream bars were available in different flavours in the same bar? They only do two now - the orange bar was recently discontinued.

The worst crime was when KitKat stopped being sold in silver foil.

Collecting dozens of Bazooka Joe wrappers - never did send off for my X-ray specs

Crisps with a twist of salt ( first time round)

Liberating pop bottles from behind the grocers and taking them back into the same shop for the deposit

A woodbine and a match please

Nailing segs into the heels of shoes so that you could spark them hanging off the open platform on the double decker bus

Oxford bags

Denim waistcoats/26" flared jeans/Loons

Paisley/Kipper ties

Pennies the size of dinner plates

ahhhh, the good old days

And those Chivers (I think) fruit jellies in a jelly mould shaped jar.

Sponsored Links
Back