EICR Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Describing any electrician who does a CU change without complete tests as a 'crook' is a bit extreme to say the least.

Not extreme at all, and I've given the very clear reason why they are crooks.

If the CU that's coming out has got a single RCD feeding the whole board, and there hasn't been a problem, and it's being replaced by a rack of RCBOs for example, the only likely issue is going to be a shared neutral.

And how long is that shared neutral going to take to sort out, on a cu that won't switch ON and its the end of the day and getting dark. You should have found the fault first and fixed it, makes everyones life easier and less stressful.

That's not to say it isn't good practice to do an EICR first. But doing it after the install (as an EIC) certainly doesn't categorise him as a 'crook'.

I deliberately didn't mention an EICR, I said a full test.

I've worked in situations like that where there's been limited daylight (going dark middle of the afternoon) and you really need to crack on with the job.You can do the tests later.

Then do the test before you start, less stressful for you and easier to plan your time, and your not stumbling about in the dark trying to find a fault with the client glaring at you because they can't make a cup of tea.

Sponsored Links
I deliberately didn't mention an EICR, I said a full test.
A lot of people do advocate an EICR before replacing a CU.

I have never understood how this works - especially if you then decide you cannot replace the CU - not least payment wise.

What is the difference between an EICR and your 'full test'?

And how long is that shared neutral going to take to sort out, on a cu that won't switch ON and its the end of the day and getting dark.

Been there, got the tee-shirt.

Stick the lighting circuits on the same RCD, as it was before. You're no worse off, and there's a brand new shiny consumer unit in place that's easy to work on.

If you've got any sense, all common consequences of the CU change have already been thoroughly explained to the client. They're now in the position where they can decide whether to go for further expense and deal with the shared neutral issue, or simply accept that the lights will need to remain on the same RCD. The choice is theirs.

They are hoping to con you into paying unlimited extra costs while they search for the faults causing the new RCD's to trip.

That's not an approach to electrical work that I've ever had any experience of, so couldn't comment.

Sponsored Links
Been there, got the tee-shirt.

But you never learnt anything.

That's not an approach to electrical work that I've ever had any experience of, so couldn't comment.

But you have commented, and seem to accept the downside of not testing, the aggravation you cause for yourself, and at the same time criticise my views on testing beforehand. I call that bizarre behaviour.

Maybe he's just better at it than you and knows what he is doing -

unlike you who just says words and then refuses to explain anything.

Maybe he's just better at it than you and knows what he is doing -

unlike you who just says words and then refuses to explain anything.

There is no point answering pointless questions about my very clear responses that just lead to more pointless questions. Cue more pointless questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back