Electric combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

Looks like its a gas boiler for me then.

Was worried about the running costs , so this has put my mind a rest .

Thanks , great forum

Had a look at the boilers in the link, but my mate can give me a New worcester greenstar 37 CDI combi condensing boiler for £750. But I'll have to get someone to fit it for me.

I had a look at thes boilers on the net and the price is below what it should be.

Is this boiler a good choice?

kardex, it is not a good choice. It is 5 years out of date and the control system is poor. I would avoid W-Bosch untill their products improve.

Best spend £250 more for a far superior boiler with integrated weather compensation. Buying a separate weather compensator would cost far more than £250.

http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productdetail.asp?ID=2457&sectID=401&catID=403&parentID=&sort=

kardex, it is not a good choice. It is 5 years out of date and the control system is poor.

Maybe it's not the latest and greatest, but there are plenty of far worse boilers out there.

Same reason that most people buy Fords not Lotuses (Lotusses? Lotii? I give up :confused: ) Not that I know that much about cars but most people just want an everyday workhorse that's cheap to run and maintain.

kardex, it is not a good choice. It is 5 years out of date and the control system is poor.

Maybe it's not the latest and greatest, but there are plenty of far worse boilers out there.

You go for the best and best price/performance. W-B are not in the running. They need new models. The control system is hopeless and lacking. Have you heard of OpenTherm?

people just want an everyday workhorse that's cheap to run and maintain.

W-B is not in the running. Get to know the latest products, what they offer and the price/performance instead of defending the indefensible. I gave details of the best price/performance boiler around.

Sponsored Links
You go for the best and best price/performance.

Of course everyone goes for the best.

It's just that this word, best, is very subjective. What's best for one person may not be best for another. It's a matter of opinion, and our opinions differ.

Yes, I have heard of opentherm, but have not researched it in depth, will have a look later.

Worcester have got weather comp being introduced at the moment.

Problem for those outside the trade is that they are of no importance to the manufacturers, so they are not kept advised of imminent releases.

In the case of BB, he falls well outside the interest of the manufacturers. Even Broag, whose boilers are his latest obsession, are unaware of him.

I find it rather amusing that the very person berating us to keep up to date, is the last person to be informed himself.

He has a complex which makes him feel superior to everyone on this forum, but doesn't seem to realise his diatribes alienate everyone, from the humble well intentioned DIYer to the experienced tradesperson.

That's some price for a WB 37CDi if it was a 'ligit' boiler but for a knock-off it's extortionate. I'd be a bit concerned about the warranty and when it breaks down,these boilers have an 18 digit serial number BTW.

Very good boilers though,I fit them and the 42 CDis regularly. Do yourself a favour and get the WB DT10RF stat too which also times the pre-heat feature on the boiler.

BTW, far as I know there is no actual electric combi boiler on the market-there is company in Uddingston who make a boiler called The electric boiler or something like that-last electric boiler (Altech ?)I fitted was rubbish, would never fit another one,ever.

Worcester have got weather comp being introduced at the moment.

Not on the market yet. Of course I'm sure they are developing newer and better models. They will have to survive, as at this rate they will go the way of Ideal. We will see when they bring decent stuff out. I can't see them introducing a dual temperature boiler, like the Broag is. Even Ravenheat did this about 9 to 10 years ago. W-B are poorly designed products with a designer label name on the front. Until then avoid W-Bosch. A waste of expensive time.

Thanks all,
I managed to go and see a house with an electric combi today.
Great system he had, BUT!!! the bills as you say were MEGA!!!

Just happy now I'm getting the gas combi put in.

Cheers

kardex

I did read some time ago of someone (not here) who had an electric system with a big heat store of coupled hot water cylinders.
The electric water heater was used on off peak to heat the 'heat store water tanks (cylinders)", which were obviously discharged offpeak.

He did say the running cost difference was not a lot :confused:

I'm a pensioner with a back boiler and I do not have thousands to replace it.

A big heat store sounds a lot cheaper than paying for a corgi (I dont have the dosh anyway).

Maybe someone who does not have a vested interest could come up with the calculations ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back