Electrician Expert Statement - Recessed light Transformers

No this is the first time I have come on to this site. I really wish I didn't have too, not good situation. But the feedback has been great and I would like to thank all those that have contributed.

Sponsored Links
So, you got someone in to install lighting, they failed some time later and now you are suing the guy that installed them? Is that it in a nutshell?

Didn't he offer to swap them? I'm sorry, I haven't read your other thread.

Do you also post under the name "Auction"?
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Yes. Never specified a brand.

How can it be both?

Did you say to the electrician "I want the best quality transformers and don't mind paying two or three times more money than you quoted me for them"?

Sponsored Links
and did you say -

"I'm willing to pay you an extra £20 per transformer so's I get something super reliable that will fill me with glad tidings. Should you agree to install the very best, please feel free to add £400 to your bill to pay for them."

I would be very interested to hear the other parties version of events me'lud, :eek:

DS

On your other thread on this subject you were told on numerous occasions:

THEY ARE NOT TRANSFORMERS.
Again
THEY ARE NOT TRANSFORMERS.

That's because they are transformers, and no amount of protesting by winston will change that.

That's because they are transformers, and no amount of protesting by winston will change that.

From Wikipedia:

A transformer is an electrical device that transfers energy between two or more circuits through electromagnetic induction.

"A varying current in the transformer's primary winding creates a varying magnetic flux in the core and a varying magnetic field impinging on the secondary winding. This varying magnetic field at the secondary induces a varying electromotive force (emf) or voltage in the secondary winding. Making use of Faraday's Law in conjunction with high magnetic permeability core properties, transformers can thus be designed to efficiently change AC voltages from one voltage level to another within power networks."

So clearly switch mode power supplies are not transformers.

Oxford dictionary said:
Definition of transformer in English:
transformer
Line breaks: trans|form¦er
Pronunciation: /transˈfɔːmə , trɑːns-, -nz-/
NOUN

1 An apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.

2 A person or thing that transforms something:
the great transformer of mankind

See they're not mislabelled at all. It's just that you don't / won't understand there's more than one type of transformer.

I'm afraid you're not quite right on that one Winston

Within an SMPS the mains AC is converted to DC and is then "chopped" into high frequency AC. This high frequency AC is fed into the primary coil of a magnetic core. Also wound onto the magnetic core is a secondary winding, from which the system output is derived. This magnetic core is a transformer and hence the SMPS as a whole meets the definition you provided.

Within an SMPS the mains AC is converted to DC and is then "chopped" into high frequency AC. This high frequency AC is fed into the primary coil of a magnetic core. Also wound onto the magnetic core is a secondary winding, from which the system output is derived. This magnetic core is a transformer and hence the SMPS as a whole meets the definition you provided.
No - that means that it has a transformer. It also has a capacitor, but we don't call it one.

And I don't think we can rely on what the makers call them as evidence that they really are that, given their track record on "low voltage".

Not that any of it is relevant to the ridiculous, and still IMO utterly hopeless, position the OP has put himself into.

It has electronics and it has a transformer. Makes perfect sense to call it an electronic transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back