Engineers ha ha

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=25686&dict=CALD

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/engineer?view=uk

plenty of other entries ask you to check what the definition of engineering actually is in order to be sure what an engineer is.

http://www.dictionary.co.uk/browse.aspx?word=engineering

the majority use the term machine which in our trade means a boiler or perhaps the heating system as a whole.

i dont use the term engineer for myself as some sort of leg up the social ladder, although im quite sure morons do. i use it as the generally accepted term for someone who fettles mechanical items.

Sponsored Links
It is certainly a well over-used term nowadays which is why it has lost much of its qudos.

It used to be reserved for those people who had undertaken a recognised apprenticeship culminating in the awarding of a HNC/D minimum.

They had both acedemic prowess and skill of hand.

Nowadays it is a meaningless title IMO.

Same thing has happened with the good old degree. It used to be focused on tangible subjects and required an element of study culminating in a prestigious awards ceremony ... Nowadays you can get a degree in farting and the awards ceremony is shared with people in their cap and gowns receiving catering diplomas ... It's all about £'s I'm afraid.

MW

It is certainly a well over-used term nowadays which is why it has lost much of its qudos.

It used to be reserved for those people who had undertaken a recognised apprenticeship culminating in the awarding of a HNC/D minimum.

They had both acedemic prowess and skill of hand.

Nowadays it is a meaningless title IMO.

Same thing has happened with the good old degree. It used to be focused on tangible subjects and required an element of study culminating in a prestigious awards ceremony ... Nowadays you can get a degree in farting and the awards ceremony is shared with people in their cap and gowns receiving catering diplomas ... It's all about £'s I'm afraid.

MW

im unfortunate enough to have both an hnc and hnd but would never use them as some sort of positive in an argument about whether or not im an engineer.

a degree today merely proves that you have spent vast amounts of time and money doing bugger all in some university.

some degrees are actually still worth something on paper but i still maintain that its virtually useless compared to the practical experience gained on a job. most degrees are worth less than that bit of ****ty bog roll i just flushed.

here is an engineer....

engineer-calgary-450.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that Casey jones steaming and a rolling.

Worked in a guys house who has a HNC in electronics done at night school with no previous background in any trade. He had to have it for promotion in one of the countries biggest electrical components suppliers.

Well he is standing beside me at airing cupboard and says what is that wire there for pointing at immersion supply cable
"I say where is it going" he points at immersion heater and says "to heater" to which i reply "so what do you think its for" to which he says "if i knew i would not be asking.
HNC they must give them away with lucky bags.

HNC they must give them away with lucky bags.

they certainly did in my case. when i did mine many moons ago i dont mind admitting i was virtually walked through it. a complete waste of time and with hindsight i wish id just started a trade instead.

A plumber of course being a worker of lead. A search should bring this up pretty quickly as we have the odd disgruntled poster starting the same topic every 3 months or so.
If you design a solution to a problem using calculations such as heat losses, hydraulics etc you are perfectly entitled to call yourself a heating engineer.

If you design a solution to a problem using calculations such as heat losses, hydraulics etc you are perfectly entitled to call yourself a heating engineer.
Why's that then?

Because you are by definition. A mountaineer is someone that climbs mountains.

A photographer is someone that takes photos.

A 'qualified' engineer must be qualified to state that.

Why's that then?

Because of this, taken from the Cambridge dictionary:

engineer Show phonetics
verb [T]
to design and build something using scientific principles

Cor blimey lads

are we fireworks or summink???

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back cos we dont half go off!

The OP hasnt posted since he had his pop

@:)

engineer

• noun 1 a person qualified in engineering. 2 a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine. 3 a person who skilfully originates something.

• verb 1 design and build. 2 contrive to bring about.

Sponsored Links
Back