Needs to be more than two; from BS1363-3 1995...
Yes, as you will have seen, I learnt that from plugwash.

As I said, I hadn't realised that - probably partially because most of the ones I had/have were 3-outlet ones, and partially because it seems that at least some of the 2-outlet ones I had (at, least, the two that have survived) did actually have fuses.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Only the very early two way adapters didn't have a fuse. ... Certainly for the last 50 years or so all two and three way adapters have a fuse.
That is consistent with my experience. My belief that even the 2-way adapters were required to have a fuse probably arose from the fact that all those I'd seen did have fuses (and manufacturers are not generally known for expending the effort/cost required to include 'not required' features!) - and that's the case for the two I found last night, which I'm certain are well over 30 years old.

I can't think of any obvious reason why 2-way adapters would have to have a fuse (when double sockets don't).

Kind Regards, John

Provided the socket was not already an unfused 2.5mm² spur from a 32A ring, it's not different (and perfectly acceptable) - in either case, you are 'limited' to 13A total by a 13A fuse (in an FCU or in the plug of the extensiion lead). Were yiou uynder the impression that this would not be allowed?

Sorry, no, thanks for clarifying that earlier. And I see that the difference is that by plugging in an extension, you remove one of the 13A outlets contributing to the possible maximum.

So in that case as you say, it’s the fact that you could theoretically total 39A by using both original socket outlets and the new spurs. But then, wouldn’t that trip the 32A breaker in the CU?

Sorry, no, thanks for clarifying that earlier. And I see that the difference is that by plugging in an extension, you remove one of the 13A outlets contributing to the possible maximum.
Exactly.
So in that case as you say, it’s the fact that you could theoretically total 39A by using both original socket outlets and the new spurs. But then, wouldn’t that trip the 32A breaker in the CU?
Only after a pretty long time. A 32A MCB is required never to trip with currents under about 36A (actually 36.16A - 1.13 times 32A) and to trip in an hour with a current of 46.4A (1.45 times 32A. I don't have the graphs with me at present, but it could well take 'hours' for it to trip with 39A.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Possible ideaS
I can't think of any obvious reason why 2-way adapters would have to have a fuse (when double sockets don't).

Kind Regards, John
Possible ideas:
1) Two or more 2 way adapters plugged into a double socket, which itself may be a spur.

2) Could be plugged into an old fashioned single socket spurred from a single socket already spurred from a ring circuit.

1) Two or more 2 way adapters plugged into a double socket, which itself may be a spur.
2) Could be plugged into an old fashioned single socket spurred from a single socket already spurred from a ring circuit.
Perfectly credible ideas - although, as we've been told/shown, despite those possibilities it appears that BS1363 does not require a fuse.

Kind Regards, John!

Perfectly credible ideas - although, as we've been told/shown, despite those possibilities it appears that BS1363 does not require a fuse.

Kind Regards, John!
Where does it say that, if you don't mind me being lazy and not looking it up?

There were some early 3 way adapters without fuses. I have one somewhere. It is brown, over 50 years old, and probably came from Woolworths.

It is brown, over 50 years old, and probably came from Woolworths.
Sure it's not some old chocolate?

Seriously, that's interesting that even 3 ways are not protected by a 13amp fuse. I wonder what make it is?

There were some early 3 way adapters without fuses. I have one somewhere. It is brown, over 50 years old, and probably came from Woolworths.
I found a couple of those when I was hunting last night - brown, arranged as a 'flat T' and quite probably from Woolworths. I initially thought they were unfused, but when I undid a screw on the back, they came apart to reveal the fuses!

Kind Regards, John

Sure it's not some old chocolate?

Seriously, that's interesting that even 3 ways are not protected by a 13amp fuse. I wonder what make it is?

Next time I'm in the loft I'll did it out of my box of old tat and see if it has a manufacturer on it.

OK I have found it. Defiantly got no fuses, I've opened it up to check. The only manufacturers logo is an octagonal block with the letters IRL in it in descending size along with MADE IN ENGLAND.

upload_2019-9-1_11-36-8.png

Brand: Red Grey
Product Name: 3 Way Fused Adaptor Adapter Multi Plug Electric 13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back