Festoon lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
Can you run 110V festoons off 240V???? if not where can i get a set like the 110v sets

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I see no physical difference between 110 and 230 volt cable and fittings however the regulations clearly state "Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment." (134.1.1) so where items are sold as 110v even though it may well work OK (Using bulbs for 230v) it could not be regarded as complying with regulations. One point would be colour of cable.
There are versions sold for 230v use Christmas every year sees loads of these sold. Some versions of festoon lighting i.e.
lamp-holder2.jpg
are only designed for extra low voltage the self piercing festoon lamp was popular at one time but safety issues has seen it's demise in the main so any blanket reply saying yes could be dangerous as those shown in picture are NOT suitable for low voltage (230vac) use.

I don't think 110v CTE is classed as ELV - it still falls into the LV category, sometimes referred to as "reduced low voltage".
The last set of 110v festoon lights I bought was from Screwfix, they are designed for use on construction sites hence the reason for them being 110v.
Easiest way is get a 240v to 110v transformer or a 110v generator, plug them in and jobs a good one! (You'll need to check that the continuous rating is adequate - do not go by the tool rating)
The party lights that you can buy such as these: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/41773-festoon-party-lights-20-strip-1175303-brennenstuhl.html are usually only suitable for 25w lamps.

Or split the set in half, run the two halves in series.

Provided they have a reasonable number of lamps, and any failed ones are replaced pronto, they shouldn't suffer from over-voltage.

HI
Why not just run them at 110V like they're designed for?

Because every time i run a 110v transformer it always trips some thing it the Shed or house.

I'm looking on running 40W bulbs on a 100m set with 33 lamp holders.
what transformer would i need i think a 1000KA??

Thanks
Jake

HI
Why not just run them at 110V like they're designed for?

Because every time i run a 110v transformer it always trips some thing it the Shed or house.

It would be odd for a 110v site transformer to trip a B32. Either your circuits are already highly loaded, it's an unusually large transformer, or the circuits are protected by a relatively small/overly sensitive MCB.

I'm looking on running 40W bulbs on a 100m set with 33 lamp holders.
what transformer would i need i think a 1000KA??

40w * 33 = 1320w. As GLS lamps are not an inductive load, you need a 1320VA transformer. Many are not rated continuously, so to achieve 1.32kVA continuously, you may be looking at a 3k transformer.

Oh, and volt drop by the end of that set is going to be rather high.

It would be odd for a 110v site transformer to trip a B32. Either your circuits are already highly loaded, it's an unusually large transformer, or the circuits are protected by a relatively small/overly sensitive MCB.

It is possible for the MCB to trip occasionally, depending on where the sine wave was at the time that the power was turned on. If it is at the point when the voltage is rising from the zero line the inrush current can be extremely high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back