for those in the know..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please, this is serious...
I hope that it is not taken over and used as topic for argument.

After recently seeing a woman in dress where her head is covered (but not face) and whole body covered in clothing... (i dont know what race, religion etc)

I decided to look up a little about the reasons why women dress like this.

In the very brief research I have done... I have only found out that certain women are required to cover most of their body and sometimes their face.

I am trying to be more accepting and understand why this is done.

I suppose that I too live by rules imposed on me as a woman, in this country.... I cant walk around baring my breasts or genital area without being liable to arrest. (though Id hope that if I did, you lot would come up with bail money!!)

However, I am struggling with this covering up thing.... for me as a western women, it appears like women are ashamed or something...

Again, let me reiterate, this not anti anyone.... and I hope that this topic can attract discussion without being removed or locked due to it being used as a slagging ground.

I am confused as to what women / men think will happen if they dont cover up etc...???

We all have our own ways....... Im just interested in learning why women dress like that as opposed to just being aware that they do.

Sponsored Links
hmmm... thanks mlbc..

Wow... I must practice what I preach and look at this sensibly and openly but its difficult after reading that!!!

I am open to the views of others on this... but I have great difficulty in accepting the view of those who think Im impure and dirty for having periods.

toffee said:
hmmm... thanks mlbc..

Wow... I must practice what I preach and look at this sensibly and openly but its difficult after reading that!!!

I am open to the views of others on this... but I have great difficulty in accepting the view of those who think Im impure and dirty for having periods.

well thats the great thing about being different and individual...you dont have to accept it....and "they" dont have to approve. i try to respect those whose opinions and views are different than mine...i'm not always successful in doing so. (btw...call me bett if its easier to remember)
:D

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
I suppose that I too live by rules imposed on me as a woman, in this country.... I cant walk around baring my breasts or genital area without being liable to arrest. (though Id hope that if I did, you lot would come up with bail money!!)

Bail...I'd sponsor you :LOL: Go on just for charidee...gotta let us know where and when though ;)

Seriously though, personally I think that there can be an element of control involved in certain cultures. Each to their own, for sure, but the thing is there are some people who come from one culture and cover up completely, yet they did not and people do not do it to that extent in their own country...they've almost become more conservative in their dress here. Maybe its a backlash to, how can I say it...the freer way of dressing some women here dress. I do think there is an element of male control involved, partly stemming from personal insecurities. That's my take, anyway, but I will also say that I also would like to see more women here not dress so provocatively (also for want of a better word) as I think it can be demeaning and this may also come out of peronal insecurity on their parts.

Well, I'm not sure that's explained clearly what I'm trying to get across, but I hope you catch my drift?!

toffee said:
After recently seeing a woman in dress where her head is covered (but not face) and whole body covered in clothing... (i dont know what race, religion etc)
I know what you're getting at, I think, but your description applies equally well to people like this, too:

nuns.jpg

toffee said:
Dunno about that, but I would love the identity parade.

"Do you see the woman there, sir?"

"Not sure - could you have them walk past again?"

On a serious note - what does it say about the men in the cultures where women have to dress like that, that they would be turned into uncontrollable rapists if they saw more of a woman than her eyes?

maybe not to the extent that women do, but i think there are also traditions and cultures and beliefs related to the way men dress.... ;)

In my experience, its to stop you getting Salad Dressing (or Fried Egg) on your shirt buttons, isn't it ?

I don't believe that the burka, or any other dress code for that matter, should be forced on anyone. However, many muslim women actually feel liberated by covering up by being able to go out and about without being judged, and given "marks out of ten" by (predominantly male) onlookers. One only has to peruse the current thread on skinny women to clarify that this judgemental practice exists. Sisters, rise up!

i am all for them covering up if that is what they want to do

but it has to be done in a fair and level playing field

when i go to a garage to put petrol in my motorcycle i am always told to take my helmet off when i go to pay for it ? i always say no then they spout on about me breaking a law to which i reply do you want paying for the fuel or is it free as i have to go now they always want paying :LOL:

what i am getting at is > they dont ask sihks to take off there turbans and i have seen it happen would they ask these wimmin that are covered head to toe to take off there veils ?? if not why not RELIGION has no grounds for law breaking has it

try going to your local garage with even a bicycle helmet on and shades you will soon see what i mean

there are rules for one and not the other = bad feeling

Slogger said:
what i am getting at is > they dont ask sihks to take off there turbans

I wonder when was the last time a sikh donned a turban in order to disguise himself while he robbed a filling station?

Slogger said:
i am all for them covering up if that is what they want to do

but it has to be done in a fair and level playing field

when i go to a garage to put petrol in my motorcycle i am always told to take my helmet off when i go to pay for it ? i always say no then they spout on about me breaking a law to which i reply do you want paying for the fuel or is it free as i have to go now they always want paying :LOL:

what i am getting at is > they dont ask sihks to take off there turbans and i have seen it happen would they ask these wimmin that are covered head to toe to take off there veils ?? if not why not RELIGION has no grounds for law breaking has it

try going to your local garage with even a bicycle helmet on and shades you will soon see what i mean

there are rules for one and not the other = bad feeling
slogger, i work in a shop, as you may know. It is intimidating when someone comes in with a massive helmet on, and other customers feel intimidated too, therefore we always ask that they remove the helmet. Not only that, but certain situations require that we see all of their face - age relates sales, and if they try to rob us etc. Highly unlikely of course, but nevertheless, people in big helmets do appear threatening.

It is wrong of you to compare this to sikhs wearing big veils etc. You may not appreciate this slogger, but it is part of their religion and belief that they cover up in public, and MOST people respect this belief. It is not threatening, nor intimidating, and their faces are visible, both to the staff, and the cameras, so they are not asked to remove their viels etc.

there has to be fairness in all the rules

ie if a turban wearing person comes in with shades on then you have the right to not serve him unless he unmasks himself

same goes for the veils

i have even had probelms with a cycle helmet so it is a one sided and racial attack on the white community

do you know how long it takes to take your helmet off with the undergarment in winter then you have no where to put the helmet and most cost in the order of £ 200 + its unfair to ask one and not all

i want equal rights for all dont you :?:

Slogger said:
i have even had probelms with a cycle helmet

Sounds like you have something about you that makes people think you are a threatening person come to rob the shop :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back