for those in the know..

The way I see it many of the customs we're talking about sprung up as a result of a lack of understanding of something. I believe the menstruating women being 'dirty' one for example was common amoungst many religions/cultures at one time or another basically because they didn't understand why it was happening or what really caused it. Imagine how frightening it must have been to bleed (and be in pain with it) regulary without having any concept of what your body was doing - no wonder they thought it was a curse! I suppose it then seemed a natural progression to associate it with bad things happening ie crops failing, milk going sour, food rotting, clocks stoping and everything else women got blamed for.

Its not so different in our own, supposedly enlightened culture. Women in my Mums generation were told all number of stupid things about periods like not washing your hair during one and as for mentioning such things in the presence of men, biggest taboo going! You might also have heard the myth still around now about women not breastfeeding during a period as it turns your milk? Some people are still ready to believe that yet it stems from the same belief as the customs in the article in that link.

Wow big woffle about periods there - lovely! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
keyplayer, I would but I dont know any..

kelinik, yes, its unbelievable now isnt it, and sanitary wear should be free .... but thats another topic!! :LOL:

toffee said:

kelinik, yes, its unbelievable now isnt it, and sanitary wear should be free .... but thats another topic!! :LOL:

You could knit your own, like in the old days

keyplayer said:
Why don't you ask some muslim women?
Toffee said:

I know what you mean Toffee, for some reason here in Cumbria seems to be an almost an entirely white and christian society. Apart from the Mosque in Carlisle and the Buddhist temple in Ulverston I can't think of any other non-christian places of worship in Cumbria. I believe that a group of Muslims are at present wanting to build a Mosque up in Whitehaven.

Sponsored Links
Even if you ask Muslim women, will you get a knowledgeable answer?

The wearing of burqas, chadors, niqabs, headscarves etc is a cultural thing, not really religious, i.e. the Quran does not make any specific requirements beyond "dressing modestly". AFAIK, beyond that, everything is interpretation and custom, often imposed by men as part of their oppression of women.

In different places there are different levels of pressure, and laws, to make women conform, and different forms of dress - the burqa for instance is concentrated in Afghanistan and Pakistan. And inevitably there will be women who do not feel oppressed, and who say they wear whatever they do out of choice.

I don't know how widespread it is, but rich westernised Saudi women may wear the abaya in public, but underneath they are wearing Agent Provocateur etc.

So depending on who you ask you'll get a variety of answers as to why they dress the way that they do.

I think the important thing with your children is to stop them from thinking that it is scary - teach them that it's just a different way of dressing - I'm guessing they are too young to be told about oppression and patriarchal societies, so just say that these people come from other parts of the world, or their parents come from other parts of the world, where they dress differently. Show them photos of people in other countries wearing different clothes. Find them photos of paintings of people in this country from the past, to show them how things have changed, and how strange it used to be when men had great big wigs.

This is useful reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Islamic_dress_(female)

whilst I dont want to turn this thread into an argument, I must say that I agree about covering ones face up when ebtering a bank etc. The posters clearly show a person with a helmet and the slogan "friend or foe - we dont know" meaning (as I understand it) show your face so we (and the cameras) can see you incase you get up to no good. To that end, I agree that the same rule should apply - hoodies and such are banned in many town centres for that reason - you cant see the persons face should they get up to no good. Also I feel that those costumes (sorry I dont know the correct name) that look like ninja masks shuoldnt be worn when driving.
Anyway, back to the original topic, I do work in a place that is owned by an Asian guy and probably about 50% of the people there are Asian, the women in there that wear the afore mentioned ninja masks (not all do) remove them inside - there are men and momen of both English and Asian origin in there so I cant see the difference between wearing one inside or outside. I'm there again next Tues so I will ask and try and find out about the clothing.

eggplant said:
hoodies and such are banned in many town centres
I'm sure that some of these town centres have shops that sell motorcycle helmets, but they are a special case - they are protective clothing with a particular, but not general use.

I am though very uncomfortable with the idea that a shop can sell an ordinary item of clothing, legally, and people can legally go in, try it on in the shop and buy it, but then be banned from wearing it as soon as they step out of the door.

I wont comment further after this apart from this reply.

BAS you can go and buy an air rifle or crossbow at 17 but it doesnt mean you can fire it in the middle of town. The point behind banning hoodies is to stop gangs of kids hiding their faces whilst harassing people or commiting crimes. Unfortunately some areas are more prone to these sort of people. You know my opinions and I know yours, I will not get into a discussion over this in this thread.

If someone is convicted of commiting a crime whilst hiding their identity then the sentence should be double that had they not done so.

They'd soon get the message.

I hate white youths that wear hoods. I guess I must be a racist huh?

I'm sure that some of these town centres have shops that sell bayonets, butchers knives and pieces of wood with big nails sticking out of them, but they are a special case - they are handy tools with a particular, but not general use.

I am though very comfortable with the idea that a shop can sell an ordinary item of hardware, legally, and people can legally go in, try it out in the shop and buy it, but then be banned from brandishing it as soon as they step out of the door.

The most dangerous weapon you will ever own is the one with wheels on.

Two tonnes of metal travelling at 100mph - that's what I call destructive power.

when in ROME

so i say dont allow them to cover up and hide there identity if i cant with my helmet its unjust and breeds contempt

i never take my lid off and i never will once the fuels in the bike what are they goingto do let me have it for free

as i said before in the winter its wet and cold and take a good 4 mins to take the lid off and then back on with the undergarment ? why should i suffer the inconvenience :evil:

JohnD said:
I am though very comfortable with the idea that a shop can sell an ordinary item of hardware, legally, and people can legally go in, try it out in the shop and buy it, but then be banned from brandishing it as soon as they step out of the door.
Well, John - if you can't tell the difference between knives etc, and everyday clothing, I feel sorry for you.

Perhaps we should also ban the wearing of hats with wide brims?

Or woollen scarves - they can be wrapped around the face, you know.

And thinking of winter clothing, all those waterproof coats with hoods had better go as well, hadn't they....

I can tell the difference between a knife and an ordinary item of clothing.

I can also tell the difference between an ordinary item of clothing and a protective helmet that is worn when riding a motorcycle.

I can also tell the difference between the appropriate use of a butchers knife or a crash helmet; and inappropriate use (like waving it about in the street or wearing it as you approach a cashier with a till full of money. A garment that conceals the face is inappropriate here. In areas with a history of crimes being committed by people wearing garments that conceal the face it is reasonable that they should be unwelcome.

The fact that you can buy them in shops is entirely irrelevant to them being inappropriate in some circumstances. If I wanted to be silly like you then I could say I feel sorry for you being unable to tell the difference between appropriate use and inappropriate.

Sponsored Links
Back