four toothbrush chargers one plug?

The fuse will have to be sized to support the total load from all four devices, this means it may need to be larger than the fuse that would be used if the appliances had individual plugs and in some applications may need to be larger than the current rating of the flexes.
Fair enough. As you go on to imply, I don't think that the issue you mention is likely to arise in relation to 'sensible' use of such plug, since they re clearly only intended for use with relatively small load.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Anyway the flexes on toothbrush chargers (being also sold in Europe) are good to 16 amp so even a 13 amp fuse in the 4 in one plug would be OK.

Incidentally I saw the 4 in one plugs in B and Q today for £13.

Anyway the flexes on toothbrush chargers (being also sold in Europe) are good to 16 amp so even a 13 amp fuse in the 4 in one plug would be OK.
Another of your contradictory posts

Anyway the flexes on toothbrush chargers (being also sold in Europe) are good to 16 amp ....
Depending on what you mean by "good to 16A", is that actually true? At least in terms of BS7671, that would require at least 1.5mm² cable. The cable on mine certainly doesn't look anything like that large.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what you mean by "good to 16A", is that actually true? At least in terms of BS7671, that would require at least 1.5mm² cable. The cable on mine certainly doesn't look anything like that large.
I don’t mean continuous rating. But the same charger sold in Europe would plug into a 16amp circuit presumably regarded as safe.

I don’t mean continuous rating. But the same charger sold in Europe would plug into a 16amp circuit presumably regarded as safe.
Well, Europeans may "regard as safe" 16A flowing through flexible cable conductors <1.5mm², but BS7671 certainly doesn't (and it makes no exceptions for 'non-continuous' currents).

553.1.5 answers the question, it seems clock and shaver are only two pin outlets allowed and limited to 3 amp. There is no provision for tooth brush outlets.
As I've said, I think this is getting silly. I remain unconvinced that there is such thing s dedicated 'toothbrush outlet' (i.e.one that said that it must not be used for shavers) but, even if there is, I don't think it would be materially different from a 'shaver' one, and almost certainly could (electrically speaking) be used for a shaver.

Kind Regards, John

How is a toothbrush charger going to cause 16A to flow?

If something did then the flex would be appropriately sized.

How is a toothbrush charger going to cause 16A to flow?
Don't feed the troll, even if with common sense :)

Without any regard to whether the situation could actually arise, the suggestion was that cables of toothbrush chargers were "good to 16A" - and it was that (probably usually incorrect) statement that I was challenging!

Kind Regards, John

I see nothing wrong with considering four women with their legs on a stool all using their lady shavers in the bathroom, however I have never seen my wife shaving in the bathroom. I support a large beard and am know as father Christmas so clearly no need for me to shave in the bathroom. Even when I did shave I don't think I have ever used a dry shaver in the bathroom, only reason to shave in the bathroom was to have water for the wet shaver.

I see nothing wrong with considering four women with their legs on a stool all using their lady shavers in the bathroom, however I have never seen my wife shaving in the bathroom.
I'm not sure what this has got to do with what we're discussing, given that the accessories we're talking about never (for good reason) have more than one outlet.

... and you have not responded to my implicit question - have you ever seen a dedicated 'toothbrush outlet' which doe not qualify as (i.e. cannot be used as) a 'shaver socket'?

Kind Regards, John

It seems scrolling back on this thread it does exist temp.jpg however it is a magnetic link so not sure if controlled by BS7671.

It seems scrolling back on this thread it does exist .... however it is a magnetic link so not sure if controlled by BS7671.
As you say, that uses an inductive coupling, and therefore has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion about the reversibility etc. of connections to toothbrush (or shaver) sockets/'outlets'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back