From Drive to Neutral at lights?

Sponsored Links
Why, what would happen if you did?
Nothing, other than a message saying you can't use the handbrake when in motion - and NO I wasn't trying a handbrake turn. The windscreen washer is the same button in my van as the auto handbrake in the car, so thankfully it doesnt engage when I try and wash the windscreen.

It's just particularly blinding at night that's all (and totally unnecessary when stopped at lights). I know it's not deliberate of them, but the handbrake is there for good reason! You must have sat at an island with say three or four lanes, where all the drivers in front have bright stop lamps on? The LED high-level lights can be like flood lights!

The genuinely anti-social drivers are deliberately annoying, I agree.
Well I must of, but have never known that it was annoying - I do worry now that you have set a seed, after reading this post will I too become annoyed ?

I don't

But you had a reason to post the warning.

Sponsored Links
Stop / start on ours only works when handbrake on, in neutral and foot off clutch.
Its a very intuitive system to use unlike some. If you have a brief stop at lights, you just hold the clutch down and it doesn't cut out.

I'm enjoying my new Micra automatic. When I picked it up the salesman went through all the controls and said to leave it in Drive for all normal situations. I have always gone into Neutral at lights etc. and applied the handbrake. I know that other drivers just leave their foot on the brake pedal but I thought this was bad practice. Is overuse of Neutral in an automatic going to do any damage? It's CVT transmission; would this make a difference?

I would always drop it into neutral, for a stop of more than a few seconds - not essential in an auto, but long habit of driving manuals. I would never hold a car on the foot brake ever, in auto or manual and for several reasons - it's bad practice in that it leaves your brake lights on dazzling those behind and there is always the chance of you loosing concentration and your foot slipping off the pedal. I always keep my foot brake on, until the car behind me has come to a stop, even if I have already put the handbrake on - just to make sure they have seen me and in case they fail to stop in the distance. Better to have all four brakes hard on, should they hit you from the rear and shunt you forward.

Handbrake on, into neutral - then sit back and relax until it's time to go.

When being followed, I try to lead them slowly to a gentle stop, rather than charging up as some tend to do and stopping abruptly.

Stop / start on ours only works when handbrake on, in neutral and foot off clutch.
Its a very intuitive system to use unlike some. If you have a brief stop at lights, you just hold the clutch down and it doesn't cut out.
So you have to put the handbrake on for stop-start to work? Doesn't sound intuitive at all, sounds like a PITA.

I always keep my foot brake on, until the car behind me has come to a stop, even if I have already put the handbrake on - just to make sure they have seen me and in case they fail to stop in the distance. Better to have all four brakes hard on, should they hit you from the rear and shunt you forward.
I have been saved from a rear end shunt a couple of times by leaving a decent space to the car in front in a queue.
Keeping a sharp eye on your mirrors means you can pull forward if an idiot behind hasnt noticed the slowing traffic.
A couple of metres can make all the difference.

So you have to put the handbrake on for stop-start to work? Doesn't sound intuitive at all, sounds like a PITA.
Well, perhaps not intuitive, more unobtrusive.
The engine only cuts out when you use handbrake and go into neutral when stopped, which was the way I was taught to drive.

Mine doesn't need the handbrake to be applied, who applies the handbrake when they're in a stop start traffic queue?

I use the handbrake at red lights, but leave the car in drive.
That's what I have always been told about automatic transmission.
The neutral is practically used only for diagnostics or to tow the car (if not 4wd).
Another crazy thing I have seen people doing in gone days is push from neutral to drive without holding the brakes but fortunately this is not possible on modern cars.
Some good technical explanation videos on YouTube about reasons to keep it in drive.

I always thought it was Day Night & Reverse - so what does the N do ?

Sponsored Links
Back