full rewire, how long?

Sponsored Links
the works busy body came round today to get the timesheets..
"so you'll be finished monday then..." ( note the lack of question mark.. )

I said "erm, probably not.. it takes 5 or 6 days for two blokes to do a full rewire when occupied with limits set on working times"

He said "we've got a team of two blokes who do it in a day"...
to which I more or less called him or them a bunch of liars..

you might manage a new build bare shell first fix in one day when there are no ceilings or plasterdoards up and the walls will be dot n dab to 35mm, but moving furniture, lifting boards, moving the furniture again to get the other side of the room all takes a lot of time.. plus chasing and sinking boxes..

when we did the village hotel first fix, we knocked out 32 rooms in one day between 2 of us, but that was with just the studwork up and drilled where needed and nogins installed to mount the boxes to..

The next thing you'll be hearing is that they'll only pay for 2 man-days for a rewire....

The council (well their subbies) are rewireing an estate near me. They are typical 3 bed semis. They are getting rewired in a day.

There is no furniture (or a bare minimum), no carpets, and no making good.

Oh and there's four or five men on each one, and each house is done to the exact same spec.

A firm I worked at would expect a normal occupied lived in house to be rewired in 5 to 6 days inculding chasing, making good and fully certified.

This was for one tradesman and one apprentice, although the appo would often be missing one day a week for college.

Sponsored Links
It's the old story.

The bosses always want it done quicker and quicker, without a thought for quality and double checking.

Most big jobs have an unexpected snag of some kind too.

Working on a rewire is exhausting enough. The bloke doing the rewire will be working flat out to get the wiring in one day so he only has to get the floor up once. The truth is he will be even more anxious to get the work done than the bosses who are pushing for it.

And why is there always someone else who can do things cheaper and quicker...?

well i finally finished it, 10 days on my own, 2 1\2 with a useless bloke....
not too bad I thought given the amount of time spent running up and down stairs and round the outside of the house ( kitchen at the back and can't go through the lounge.. )..

they sent me somewhere else wednesday for the most of the day and friday too..

then they tell me that they've given the next job to someone else and the builders I'm working for aren't doing anymore of the electrical jobs.. effectively firing me..

nevermind..

do I still have to give them the test results and cert or can I be ****y about it ? :D

I'd like to see you try.

Including lifting floors, putting them back, running cables New earth/bonding, full testing and certification of all circuits?

ROTFL.gif

1 day?????????????

Including lifting floors, putting them back, running cables New earth/bonding, full testing and certification of all circuits?
You're asking that of a guy who doesn't understand bonding and who after he'd been working as an electrician for at least 5 years still thought that capping provided mechanical protection for cables run outside of safe zones?

ROTFL.gif

Some of the horrendous prices nowerdays you can't physically take a week.

I did council rewires for a bit.. 2 bed voids, in central London, £535 :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back