Fused switched spur with flex outlet - can it be an inlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just want to know if a fused switched spur with flex outlet (similar to this - https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-13a-fused-spur/p18434? ) can be used with the flex outlet as an inlet? I plan to power a CCTV camera that will be outdoors by drilling straight through the wall and fitting this on the inside wall. It's a bit difficult to get power at the location so I thought maybe I could have a flex from something similar to this that I will put a plug on and plug into a nearby socket. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just want to know if a fused switched spur with flex outlet (similar to this - https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-13a-fused-spur/p18434? ) can be used with the flex outlet as an inlet? I plan to power a CCTV camera that will be outdoors by drilling straight through the wall and fitting this on the inside wall. It's a bit difficult to get power at the location so I thought maybe I could have a flex from something similar to this that I will put a plug on and plug into a nearby socket. Can anyone advise?
The short answer is Yes, BUT if it is going to be fed from a plug/socket, there will be a fuse in the plug, so you don't need another in a FCU.

You could either just take the cable (from the plug) through the wall (using the switch on the socket if you ever want to switch it off or (can't really see why!) have a switch rather than a switched FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Use a flex outlet plate - it's essentially just a plate with a hole and (I assume) strain relief, so will do the same job but without the superfluous fuse or switch.

Use a flex outlet plate - it's essentially just a plate with a hole and (I assume) strain relief, so will do the same job but without the superfluous fuse or switch.
That's a possibility but, as I said, I'm not sure that he necessarily needs any accessory (unless for 'aesthetic' reasons) - since the cable coiuld presumably just go through the hole in his wall.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank for the replies, yes I realise now that the cable could just go into a hole but that wouldn't look as good as having some kind of accessory.

Oh yes, and another way (the cheapest if you want an accessory) is to use a blank plate and carefully file a slot in one edge to take the cable. They can also be drilled - but that takes some skill not to crack them (the material used is quite brittle).

For an accessory a cooker outlet plate may be the neatest but if you don't need any joint my vote is with Simon and CAREFULLY filing the groove in the edge of a blank.

Thank for the replies, yes I realise now that the cable could just go into a hole but that wouldn't look as good as having some kind of accessory.
Fair enough. However, if the cable were going to go through the hole in the wall (with no electrical joints in an accessory), then you wouldn't need an electrical accessory to 'make it look good'. Indeed, it might well 'look even better' if you simply used an appropriately shaped/decorated piece of wood or plastic, or perhaps something more 'decorative' (even a mirror/picture/whatever).

Kind Regards, John

it might well 'look even better' if you simply used an appropriately shaped/decorated piece of wood or plastic
Not quite 'decorative', but what is used on the outside, could be used on the inside! :)
MXCBW.jpeg

I used brushes, screwfix LAP range of grid devices included the brushes option.
That's certainly an option, but I personally have never found 'brushes' to be very aesthetically pleasing - in fact (as far as I am concerned) less "aesthetically pleasing" than a cable simply disappearing into a (neat!) hole in a wall. However, we're all different!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back