Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2870.JPG
Hi

I have just had my kitchen tiled and found that there are gaps around two sockets. The tiler said that the socket was incorrectly installed and that there is nothing he can do. It looks terrible and is really obvious when you walk into the kitchen. Please help me as I have no idea what to do or if anything can be done to sort it out?

Many thanks

Val

Sponsored Links
Anything but leave it like that......
If the grout is continued it may be possible just to bump the socket up a fraction once the two screws are slackened......it may cover just enough so the eye doesn't see any problems. Decorators caulk will do too - if its the same colour!
John :)

Hiya

I have tried with loosing the screws and lifting the socket plate but no luck. If you use the caulk, would you be able to grout over it? The problem is that there is a gpa behind the socket and won't the caulk just fall through and fill the metal box at the back?

With the screws loose the socket should definitely move - at least in some direction! Maybe its as high as it can go.
Anyway, it is possible to fill that gap with grout - just don't press it in hard! Another way is to shift the screws completely and pull the socket away from the wall which will allow you fill it up a bit more.
You won't use caulk and then grout over it though - if you want to try caulk it can be smoothed very well with a finger, even if it does overlap onto the socket a fraction.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your hlpe John. The problem is that the grout is pale grey and you will the caulk. I have taken out the screws and moved the plate up but the screw holes wont line up so I can't screw it back on. My neighbour suggested using silicone and then grouting over it ....can you do that?

Thanks Val

Why not mix up some grout, keeping it on the stiff side, and wiping it in the groove with your finger?
I wouldn't go down the silicone route - grout probably wouldn't stick.
You don't need to remove the screws to move the socket.....the bits the screws fix in to have some movement built in.

Thanks John, will give it a go...right now ...thinking of taking a hit out on both the tiler and electrician......!

Be lucky......I don't know why the tiler didn't give it a try, but the sparky is blameless!
The double outlet needs levelling too.

I suspect the gap around the socket didn't get filled, and the tiler was nervous of getting a wet grout near electrics. If you've got a piece of wood about the thickness of the gap, then use caulk in the gap, and push it back about 1/4" or so before it sets (it may need 2 goes) then when it's set, apply the grout, and smooth it off with your finger.

Hi Doggit
Used painters mate(caulk) as you suggested. Can I just grout over it once its dry - will the grout stick to it ok?

Many thanks

Val

Grouts pretty stable, and once in and pressed in place, should hold itself by virtue of the upper and lower parts of the gap as well. The caulk is making sure it's got something to hold against behind it.

If you remove the switch plate, you might be able to (carefully) bend up the tabs in the back box, with the screw holes in, allowing the plate to be mounted a couple of mm higher.

Many thanks, will give it a go and keep you posted. Tiler came back today and said nothing he can do (even though we had done the caulking) not his fault and we need an electrician to move the sockets.....which will result in that part of the kitchen needing retiling!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back