Gap around socket - Please help me

Just get some grout from wickes, and wipe it into the joint. Anything you do will be better than it is. I take it you're not going to be using that tiler again, but I certainly wouldn't consider messing around with the sockets.

Sponsored Links
agree just slacken that double off slightly and level it up and grout the line with a stiff mix.

The sockets are not installed correctly ?? What a load of tosh. Lazy tiler more like.

It's people like your tiler that stop me ever getting in people to do work and I always end up doing it myself. If I bodge my own work, I can't complain. But I just hate paying some other git to bodge it on my behalf.

He should have switched off the mains, removed the socket plate screws and attempted something to fill that gap, not just say...

"Sorry, dat's the de best I can do, blame the electrician" !!!

This is how I would do it:

Turn off your mains, or isolate the kitchen sockets. If your not comfortable doing that, get someone who IS. It is a simple job.

Remove the socket plate screws. The sparky should have left enough cable for the plate to pull out without having to remove any wiring (if not, get a competent person to remove the plate).

Then make a 'shelf' out of some thin wood or something, just wide enough to go between the tiles (horizontally, obviously). You will see the top of the backplate of the socket, place the shelf across there.

You now have something to stop you filler, dropping into the socket backplates. Then mix some filler and pop it in there, but don't try and get it perfect, you still need to grout the area later.

Leave the filler go off, remove the 'shelf' and replace the socket plate. You will now have a surface to grout to rather than trying to grout into a void, which was being suggested.

Last edited:
not his fault and we need an electrician to move the sockets.....which will result in that part of the kitchen needing retiling!!!!!
An good electrician might be able to move the back boxes higher without damaging the tiles. This would allow the plate to be fitted with the gap underneath the socket where it will be less visible

Sponsored Links
not his fault and we need an electrician to move the sockets.....which will result in that part of the kitchen needing retiling!!!!!
An good electrician might be able to move the back boxes higher without damaging the tiles. This would allow the plate to be fitted with the gap underneath the socket where it will be less visible

To be fair anyone with an ounce of common sense, a drill and a rawl plug could move the backplate up a touch. You shouldn't need to hire an electrician for that !! It's just a couple of screws, take those out and drill a couple of new ones a bit higher up, obviously you will have to drill completely new ones diagonally to the original ones or something.

How are you with DIY ? More importantly electrics ? You should at least be able to isolate your mains supply ?

Can you not move the pattress box behind the sockets up a little bit and refix?

Then seal the gap thats now at the bottom rather than the top. Less noticeable at the bottom.

Dear All

Grout-gate is now resolved and many thanks for all your help and suggestions. My painter and decorator took one look at and described the Tiler using the most imaginative language and then proceeded to do more or less what you have all suggested. It is now unnoticeable, as it should have been in the first place. In addition the P&D has had words with the Tiler as he recommended him in the first place and was incredibly angry as he sends a lot of work his way....the end of a beautiful friendship I think!!

Thanks again

Val

Dear All

Grout-gate is now resolved and many thanks for all your help and suggestions. My painter and decorator took one look at and described the Tiler using the most imaginative language and then proceeded to do more or less what you have all suggested. It is now unnoticeable, as it should have been in the first place. In addition the P&D has had words with the Tiler as he recommended him in the first place and was incredibly angry as he sends a lot of work his way....the end of a beautiful friendship I think!!

Thanks again

Val

Haha !! Glad you got it resolved. At least your painter sounds like a decent tradesperson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back