Garage Wiring | Adding extra plug points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only have one plug point in my external modern double garage and need extra sockets added. The main power cable enters the garage into a stand-alone fuse box. The 2 gang socket is mounted beside it.

I would like to run an additional 2.5mm cable from the back of the socket and run a 7 metre cable along the concrete brick wall to a junction box from which I was looking to connect to separate 2 gang sockets from.

Is this a safe approach or do I need to consider anything else?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Yeah thats ok.

What size Mcb is the one for sockets ?
Hopefully b16 or b20

We don’t like junction boxes.
Have you thought about putting a double socket where you want the junction

mini-trunking between the sockets is useful. It protects the cables against snagging or scuffs, and looks neat. as it is screwed to the wall it is also more secure than pinned cable clips. The lid clips off if you need to make alterations, such as adding an extra socket part-way along the wall.

If you're going to the trouble of adding one socket, I'd go for one at each end, and one in the middle. More at any point where you might want a workbench, battery charger, vacuum, lawnmower, jetwasher etc.

Yeah thats ok.

What size Mcb is the one for sockets ?
Hopefully b16 or b20

We don’t like junction boxes.
Have you thought about putting a double socket where you want the junction

Thanks. It’s a b16 MCB so sounds like I’m good on that front.

Out of interest, what’s the concern with junction boxes. It’s possible for me to run the additional 3rd socket in a chain from the 2nd; just figured that the wiring would be neater.

Sponsored Links
It’s possible for me to run the additional 3rd socket in a chain from the 2nd

And the second from the first.

This will be neater. There is no need for the addition of a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back