GB News

Sponsored Links
Another conceit it's a power grab - I don't see the left in power - it's simply the right weaponising terms to keep their supporters off the real issues.
Yes, it is.
The term is used by the right because the left uses the practice to silence people who disagree with them.

The portrait of the queen was purchased and put up in 2013 in the Graduate Students Union and then after a vote it was taken down. How is that cancel culture.
But why did they vote to take it down?
Was it a new left woke reason? Yes, it was.

So I don't pay for a ticket or don't wear a mask and I am removed - does that mean I am cancelled?
From the ground - yes, obviously (in the way the term is used).

Stretching the term cancelled to mean sacked - is pushing the bondaries yet you get upset when people use words incorrectly.
That is what the word means in this context.

Trying to put meaning to a weaponised term just shows the hypocrisy of it all.
It is you that says the term is weaponised but do not seem to think the practice is a weapon.

If they are voicing their opinion - then whats so different that someone voices their opinion on a company whose practices you don't agree with? Which proves the whole term as being nothing more than a dog whistle - it doesn't further the debate.
It depends what happens to that someone.
He could be removed but he can't remove the company.

The term cancel culture is like Brexit - it means what you want it to mean.
Unless it simply means the UK has left the EU.

As I said previously:
It seems to me people who pretend not to know what it means are those most intent on promoting the practice.

Sponsored Links
Ignore button should be banned. ;)

no because it gives people a right not to see the posts by certain individuals. not cancelling them just ignoring them, there isnt a mob trying to get them kicked off the site.

There was a teacher in the news a little while back who was sacked because they voiced an opinion that they didnt believe in trans education for children, she never said anything whilst at work but there was a couple of posts she put up where she mentioned she wasnt agreeing with it, it wasnt nasty or anthing just said she didnt feel it was right. anyway some of the parents found her on facebook, showed the posts, it spread like wild fire to a lgbtq group, who mounted pressure on the school and she got the sack. She lost the tribunal as it happens, the reason was spurious, and it does call into question where society is heading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-54242315

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ol-worker-loses-tribunal-case-against-sacking

Best thing ever. Such fun!
I don't use it (apart from one total out and out racist) as it's so much fun seeing the usual suspects making total tw*ts of themselves...

And also knowing that they always peek at 'ignored content' :LOL:

no because it gives people a right not to see the posts by certain individuals. not cancelling them just ignoring them, there isnt a mob trying to get them kicked off the site.

There was a teacher in the news a little while back who was sacked because they voiced an opinion that they didnt believe in trans education for children, she never said anything whilst at work but there was a couple of posts she put up where she mentioned she wasnt agreeing with it, it wasnt nasty or anthing just said she didnt feel it was right. anyway some of the parents found her on facebook, showed the posts, it spread like wild fire to a lgbtq group, who mounted pressure on the school and she got the sack. She lost the tribunal as it happens, the reason was spurious, and it does call into question where society is heading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-54242315

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ol-worker-loses-tribunal-case-against-sacking

I think there are quite a few who would want ellal off this site - does that constiute a mob and why does it have to be a mob?

Lets say it has to be a mob movement then Brexit is cancel culture - they wanted to cancel freedom of movement.

:mrgreen:

I am assuming the article is accurate:

"Members of Magdalen College Middle Common Room (MCR) deemed the image a symbol of "recent colonial history"."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-57409743

Anyway:
You are quite entitled to disagree but claiming you don't know what 'cancel culture' means in the modern usage is simply fatuous.

Where did I claim that. I am pointing out the hypocrisy.

As to that article - they voted for it - isn't that free speech - how is that wokism?

Where did I claim that.
Because you were arguing that those who are the subject of cancel culture could reciprocate equally.

I am pointing out the hypocrisy.
Ok. If they are being hypocritical.

As to that article - they voted for it - isn't that free speech - how is that wokism?
From the article:
"Members of Magdalen College Middle Common Room (MCR) deemed the image a symbol of "recent colonial history"."
and
"with one student said to have commented "patriotism and colonialism are not really separable"."

They did not say they just did not want a picture of the Queen in the room.

Because you were arguing that those who are the subject of cancel culture could reciprocate equally.

Ok. If they are being hypocritical.

From the article:
and
"with one student said to have commented "patriotism and colonialism are not really separable"."

Do you have a picture of the queen in your house? I certainly don't and none of my friends do - does that mean we have cancelled the queen?

Yes, it is.
The term is used by the right because the left uses the practice to silence people who disagree with them.

If they were silenced how could they call it cancel culture - silenced means not being able to speak out about it- so when you call it cancel culture you are speaking out about it.

So it only becomes wokism if you attach colonialism to it? If you said I don't want the picture of the queen as she's ugly isn't wokism?

You see how silly calling it wokism is.

Do you have a picture of the queen in your house? I certainly don't and none of my friends do - does that mean we have cancelled the queen?
Oh come on, you are being deliberately and, I think spuriously, obfuscatory.

You cannot cancel that which never was.

I do not have a picture of the Queen but it is not because she represents the colonial past - slavery.

I did have one of Brunel before I moved. I didn't cancel him; just didn't bring much with me.

Sponsored Links
Back