GB News

I don't think anyone has argued that GB news should not be allowed to air, not has anyone campaigned to prevent it airing.
What they have done is ridiculed and criticised it. Is that not allowed in your 'cancel culture' narrative?
If advertisers want to restrict their advertising to ethical media outlets to avoid any negative feedback, they're perfectly entitled to do that, it's their money they're spending, their products and services they're promoting, unless that also is not allowed in your 'cancel culture' narrative.

https://stopfundinghate.info/2021/06/14/gb-news-advertisers/

I think trying to get advertisers to pull their funding from GB news is campaigning to prevent it from operating.

Again, they started their campaign before GB news aired.

Sponsored Links
I agree with all of your freedoms.
So its just when people use those freedoms in a way which you dont like that you come out with RWL dog-whistle culture war things like "cancel culture"?

I think trying to get advertisers to pull their funding from GB news is campaigning to prevent it from operating.
So is that use of freedom of speech not to be allowed?

When is freedom of speech OK, and when is it not?

Again, they started their campaign before GB news aired.
People often campaign about things before they have started. Is that another freedom you wish people did not have?

Sponsored Links
Freedom of speech is not OK when that freedom is being used in an attempt to prevent other people having freedom of speech.
Like complaining about campaigning? :rolleyes:
Prevention means literally preventing, not allowing. Campaigning is about persuasion.

Like complaining about campaigning? :rolleyes:
Prevention means literally preventing, not allowing. Campaigning is about persuasion.
Campaigning can be about persuading. Cancel culture is not about persuasion, its about shutting down opinions and history that differ to their views.

I don't think anyone has argued that GB news should not be allowed to air, not has anyone campaigned to prevent it airing.
What they have done is ridiculed and criticised it. Is that not allowed in your 'cancel culture' narrative?
If advertisers want to restrict their advertising to ethical media outlets to avoid any negative feedback, they're perfectly entitled to do that, it's their money they're spending, their products and services they're promoting, unless that also is not allowed in your 'cancel culture' narrative.

Yes there were campaign to prevent them

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...rs-targeted-stop-funding-hate-channel-launch/

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/will-gb-news-channel-hit-advertisers/1706867

The idea being that stop the advertisers squash the funding, stop the channel

Campaigning is about persuasion, not about prevention.
When Labour are campaigning, they're not preventing you from voting Tory, they're hoping to persuade you to vote Labour.
It's all about persuasion and presenting some clear arguments as to why one course of action is preferable over another.

Like what you're doing now?
No, i'm not. I'm discussing what they're doing. I'm not making a concerted, targeted, aggressive effort to shut them down.

I don't like cancel culture and i'd prefer that it stops. But even if i don't like their views, i'm not trying to turn them into social pariahs or removed from history.

You and i have very different views and present them in different ways. Sometimes i wind you up, sometimes you wind me up. You're entitled to your views and if i don't agree with them i'll either discuss them with you to try and make you see a different point of view or simply not bother and let you carry on the thread with someone else. I'm certainly don't campaign to 'cancel' you by having you removed from this site and all your historic posts deleted.

I'm not making a concerted, targeted, aggressive effort to shut them down.

I don't like cancel culture and i'd prefer that it stops. But even if i don't like their views, i'm not trying to turn them into social pariahs or removed from history..
But you'll happily adopt 'cancel culture' for your own agenda:

I'm not intending to use the term as a weapon specifically, but its the term that has become the norm to be used for the modern version of attempting to shut down debate and stop the discussion.
You want to stop people ridiculing, criticising and campaigning against GB news. Isn't that cancel culture, trying to shut down discussion?
Isn't that trying to deny people form airing their opinions?

"Humiliated Matt Hancock today insisted he 'doesn't think' he is 'f****** hopeless' after Boris Johnson's devastating private verdict on his performance was revealed.

The Health Secretary tried to shrug off a slew of extraordinary messages that were revealed on social media by maverick ex-No10 chief Dominic Cummings.

The WhatsApps revealed by Mr Cummings included brutal assessments by the PM at the height of the crisis in March and April last year - including repeatedly branding Mr Hancock 'hopeless' over PPE and testing and suggesting Michael Gove would have to take over. "

Should that have been 'cancelled' in order to stop people ridiculing those in power?

Sponsored Links
Back