Global Warming and Pollution

Which will be nothing compared to the financial hits from flooding alone.

It's as if global warming deniers can't count sometimes.

I wonder what will be the cost of rebuilding Australia's burned homes and infrastructure.

Sponsored Links
Intelligent life, even on earth, does not require radio,

Even in the last hundred years, the number of humans with a transmitter capable of being detected a million miles away is so small as to be negligible.

Intelligent life, and advanced civilisations, even on earth, need not even have discovered glass to make telescopes.
If intelligent life can't be found on earth why look for it in space.

Why dont you like Greta Thunberg?

She is sincere in her cause. That is an admirable quality.

I struggle to see what she has done to make her a focus for so much hatred.
she offers no practical solutions only anger towards those she blames for the problem.

The one thing we need to do is slow down our population expansion. Reducing carbon footprint by 25% is worthless if we double our size in another 30 years.

Sponsored Links
The Vulcans are monitoring for traces of warp signatures.

All we need to do is develop warp technology and the Vulcans will rescue us.

she offers no practical solutions only anger towards those she blames for the problem.

Good on her. It is government responsibility to develop solutions to the problems it has created. Many people are making changes since becoming more aware.

And many politicians are listening and taking action.

The one thing we need to do is slow down our population expansion. Reducing carbon footprint by 25% is worthless if we double our size in another 30 years.

I agree she is angry at those she blames for the problem, but you are wrong to suggest she isnt important in the debate
what is key -she has made a huge impact on spreading the message.

I hate to say it but it is always pro brexit, right wing voters that dont like Greta Thunberg.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact so many right wing think tanks, UK and US have fossil fuel interests supporting them.

I'm conflicted about this

It's at both ends of the spectrum , for me.

For its size, it is quite under powered at 2,600hp. But this super yacht cannot be considered environmentally friendly, just because it uses hydrogen to power it. That hydrogen still needs to be created and transported. Now if it had some sails, I can buy in to the idea that its doing its bit. There are plenty of superyachts that can hybrid sail. Or even this
which can actually sail (though it seems to be struck by appalling interior design taste).

She's a campaigner who has achieved a great deal. She has largely targeted governments who have not lived up to their commitments on climate change, and pointed out that the science tells us this is urgent. And that economic growth is the main driver.
Population is not the issue. Firstly, this will sort itself out, as it is set to level off at about 9-12 billion.
Secondly, economic growth is the real issue, rather than population. A family of 8 in Chad has a tiny carbon footprint compared to a middle class family in the US with one or two kids.

Also, check out the fertility rates of countries, and you'll see they are nearly all dropping. With a few exceptions, urbanisation, education, and sanitation are increasing, which leads to lower birth rates.

Our fixation on GDP growth is the killer. We need a better way of measuring the development of the world and countries within it. A good example is the doughnut chart:
https://www.kateraworth.com/doughnut/

Measuring well being (eg. happiness), environmental degradation, equality, health, education, etc would be a better aim than just wealth for a nation to aspire to. Clean growth, is the key.

So when the scientists are dismissed and someone picks up their mantle to highlight the issue your upset at that person.

Climate solutions requires Governmental level cooperation and they all seem to be sitting on their hands.

No much more advanced, I.e been a civilisation for a billion plus years. Would they not be constantly transmitting, it's disturbingly quiet out there.
Why would they be transmitting? We aren't, other than some non-commercial applications.

Modern commercial transmissions are efficient enough to not allow ET to listen in. And signals such as FM wouldn't even get picked up. It is likely that aliens would be well advanced that they are either hardwired their signals, or are encrypted.. This ignores the distance issue, as we probably would not be able to pick up the early signals of a mirror society 100 light years away, as it would be so weak by the time it gets here.

Then there is the issue of society expansion. Our population is likely to grow to about 9-12 billion, and level off, so we don't need to go into space to colonise. Therefore we won't need to do much outside of our solar system other than exploration. Basically, the pill is far easier than space travel, so a civilisation will likely not need to expand to some huge size envisaged by many scifi writers..

She's a campaigner who has achieved a great deal. She has largely targeted governments who have not lived up to their commitments on climate change, and pointed out that the science tells us this is urgent. And that economic growth is the main driver.
I don’t dispute her huge achievement raising awareness and becoming a celebrity climate campaigner. I’m explaining why she is disliked by so many. Someone who criticises others but offers no solutions, doesn’t add much value. Her celebrity headline grabbing status may detract from others who have a valid contribution that needs air time. A world full of protesters won’t fix the problems.

But people keep on rejecting the scientists who offer solutions.

The irony being those who dislike Greta by accusing her of not providing a solution either do not have a solution themselves or dismiss those solutions that are offered with it will destroy our economy.

Haters gonna hate.

Sponsored Links
Back