Gobby dog

Sponsored Links
We all have fears/phobias about something that others may find irrational, but to the person with the fear/phobia they don't see it as irrational. Usually because they, or someone close to them, has had a bad experience of what frightens them.
In work today the young girl in reception needed to go to the top floor, (3rd), with a heavy box of posters. When I asked why she wasn't going to use the lift she said she had a phobia of them as she got stuck in one as a child with her mum. She then asked, if she got in would I ride up with her because she really wanted/needed to overcome her fear. We spent half an hour going up and down, stopping and starting at various floors etc.
Afterwards she felt a lot better but I warned her that her fear probably wouldn't go away completely, but she may now be in a better frame of mind to cope if it starts to get too much for her. She wants to practice it a few more times before trying on her own and I'm quite happy to ride with her if she wants. Sometimes we just need someone with a bit of patience to help us cope with stressful situations.

Sponsored Links
I have never understood this irrational fear of dogs, that some people have.

Used to stay with relatives occasionally in Pretoria, South Africa. They had a lovely, friendly Border Collie called Gandalf. He had different coloured eyes and the natives didn't like it one bit. Maybe superstition or something, but he was given a very wide berth when we took him out for walkies.

When a dog wags it’s tail it is NOT an indication it is happy.

what it shows is a heightened state of emotion: happiness, nervousness, feeling threatened, anxiety, submission and excitement

a wagging dog may bite

a wagging dog may bite

Yep sometimes, but usually not. More usual signs are tail going down and ears back, I would not approach a dog doing that.

She often sits at my drive gates, usually quietly watching the world go by. She hates phones and especially so people using them, even me. If someone walks by on the phone she barks at them, if someone acts suspiciously going by, or tries to approach her - she barks at them. Once she has met someone, she never forgets them and will recognise them instantly. I can recognise her bark and it's meaning, it is different if someone is approaching her and gets my attention, so then I watch. I've seen several youngsters reach through the gate to stroke her, the barking stops, the tail wags furiously and she reaches up to be stroked. As they leave, she goes back to the barking and then will carefully sniff the gate where they have made contact with it.

Used to stay with relatives occasionally in Pretoria, South Africa. They had a lovely, friendly Border Collie called Gandalf. He had different coloured eyes and the natives didn't like it one bit. Maybe superstition or something, but he was given a very wide berth when we took him out for walkies.

Her mother had different coloured eyes, one bright green, the other bright blue. Lovely friendly dog..

Yep sometimes, but usually not. More usual signs are tail going down and ears back, I would not approach a dog doing that.

She often sits at my drive gates, usually quietly watching the world go by. She hates phones and especially so people using them, even me. If someone walks by on the phone she barks at them, if someone acts suspiciously going by, or tries to approach her - she barks at them. Once she has met someone, she never forgets them and will recognise them instantly. I can recognise her bark and it's meaning, it is different if someone is approaching her and gets my attention, so then I watch. I've seen several youngsters reach through the gate to stroke her, the barking stops, the tail wags furiously and she reaches up to be stroked. As they leave, she goes back to the barking and then will carefully sniff the gate where they have made contact with it.
dogs are really amazing creatures, only dog owners appreciate the amazing communication ability of dogs.

No dog can be trusted with children.

For me, that would depend upon the dog and it's personality. We had a Yorkshire Terrier, which was viscous and I would not trust it alone with anyone at all. It would even go for me if I stuck my tongue out at it or pulled a face. Third BC in succession and I would have no doubt about leaving any of them in charge of a youngster - rather than in the charge of. They are a very defensive and protective breed - they are bred to look after and defend sheep.

We all have fears/phobias about something that others may find irrational, but to the person with the fear/phobia they don't see it as irrational. Usually because they, or someone close to them, has had a bad experience of what frightens them.
In work today the young girl in reception needed to go to the top floor, (3rd), with a heavy box of posters. When I asked why she wasn't going to use the lift she said she had a phobia of them as she got stuck in one as a child with her mum. She then asked, if she got in would I ride up with her because she really wanted/needed to overcome her fear. We spent half an hour going up and down, stopping and starting at various floors etc.

It is still irrational, to be frightened of something which cannot or will not hurt you. I don't like cats, I am not afraid of them in the slightest, but for me it's a dog every time. As a child I was was quite scared of lifts, only because I had never been in one until I started work. Once working, I got used to them, I even got stuck in one a couple of times, no problem, not a concern. I studied how the work, the safety features, realised that even if the rope snapped, they couldn't fall, so apart if there is a fire - probably the safest place to be in any building.

An irrational fear is to be frightened of something, which cannot/will not hurt you. Some dogs will hurt you, but almost without fail that is because they have been bred or trained to do that. A BC is bred to keep sheep herded together and will gently nip the ankles of any which try to stray from the flock. My BC will nip my nose gently sometimes, when I tease her. If she needs anything she never whines, she taps me on the arm or leg. She never barks, apart from when something concerns her. If one of her toys or balls, get under some item of furniture, she stands and stares at me, to get my attention, then points with her nose or a paw at where the toy is.

If you go out as a group with her, she will encourage the stragglers of the group to keep up. Her bigger, much older brother was an escape artist, nothing you could do would keep him in the garden if he wanted out. He often took himself out in the late evening, spend the entire night roaming, then come back next morning, sometimes having paid a visit to relatives at the far end of the village. He knew the roads and paths better than me.

She is the same, except she would never attempt to go out by herself, but a complete stranger can put her on a lead and she will take them out for a walking tour of the village without getting lost.

It is still irrational, to be frightened of something which cannot or will not hurt you. I don't like cats, I am not afraid of them in the slightest, but for me it's a dog every time. As a child I was was quite scared of lifts, only because I had never been in one until I started work. Once working, I got used to them, I even got stuck in one a couple of times, no problem, not a concern. I studied how the work, the safety features, realised that even if the rope snapped, they couldn't fall, so apart if there is a fire - probably the safest place to be in any building.

An irrational fear is to be frightened of something, which cannot/will not hurt you. Some dogs will hurt you, but almost without fail that is because they have been bred or trained to do that. A BC is bred to keep sheep herded together and will gently nip the ankles of any which try to stray from the flock. My BC will nip my nose gently sometimes, when I tease her. If she needs anything she never whines, she taps me on the arm or leg. She never barks, apart from when something concerns her. If one of her toys or balls, get under some item of furniture, she stands and stares at me, to get my attention, then points with her nose or a paw at where the toy is.

If you go out as a group with her, she will encourage the stragglers of the group to keep up. Her bigger, much older brother was an escape artist, nothing you could do would keep him in the garden if he wanted out. He often took himself out in the late evening, spend the entire night roaming, then come back next morning, sometimes having paid a visit to relatives at the far end of the village. He knew the roads and paths better than me.

She is the same, except she would never attempt to go out by herself, but a complete stranger can put her on a lead and she will take them out for a walking tour of the village without getting lost.
It can be asserted any dog has the potential to hurt someone (bite) so for those with a fear of dogs, their fear isn't irrational to them. It might be to others, however to use an Americanism, it's their reality.

Harry, keep digging. You want it to be the norm that people you encounter with your dog should want to be sniffed, drooled over, licked or jumped up on. They don't. Neither do they want to be 'reassured' by you that, "He won't hurt you, so don't worry." It's their right (and perfectly rational) to see you get on the bus with the dog and think, "Cluck, here we go, another one who thinks we all want to pet his dog."

Sponsored Links
Back