Gobby dog

Years back I had what verged on an argument with an office colleague about this. She was insistent her dog would never bite anyone, she could guarantee this 100%. I simply kept on saying 'you can't make that guarantee because it's an animal and has the potential to bite whether or not it previously has. You have little to no control over that.'

She wasn't happy, even less so when the other two colleagues in the office agreed with me :)

Sponsored Links
Years back I had what verged on an argument with an office colleague about this. She was insistent her dog would never bite anyone, she could guarantee this 100%. I simply kept on saying 'you can't make that guarantee because it's an animal and has the potential to bite whether or not it previously has. You have little to no control over that.'

She wasn't happy, even less so when the other two colleagues in the office agreed with me :)

Any dog can be made to bite, yes, but the majority would need to be provoked to do so - they never usually bite without good reason. Just like people, some can be very unstable, some bad tempered, some viscous. The vast majority of the people you meet will be stable, well adjusted - so you begin any exchange on that basis.

Her mother had different coloured eyes, one bright green, the other bright blue. Lovely friendly dog..

Yes, same colours as this dog. His owners didn't give him much attention, but he liked it when we stayed because he got the walks and games of fetch he craved. Even if it had been a couple of years since our last visit, he would fetch his ball as soon as we arrived and demand play. Lovely natured animal. Their massive Rhodesian Ridgeback (very necessary for the South African homeowner) called Goliath was a totally different kettle of fish.

The vast majority of the people you meet will be stable, well adjusted - so you begin any exchange on that basis.
Really! You should be wary of all strangers you meet for the first time!
Why do you think we teach children to be wary of strangers!

Sponsored Links
Really! You should be wary of all strangers you meet for the first time!
Why do you think we teach children to be wary of strangers!

You should give them the benefit of the doubt, until you know them better, whilst remaining wary.

That may be ok in your sleepy one horse little village with no shops but not in the real world ..........

How do you mean? There are lots of horses around here, we see them all the time. They have a police horse stabling nearby, plus a good range of shops in the old high street, then there are a Tesco, Lidl and Home Bargains on new estate, just a walk away.

How do you mean? There are lots of horses around here, we see them all the time. They have a police horse stabling nearby, plus a good range of shops in the old high street, then there are a Tesco, Lidl and Home Bargains on new estate, just a walk away.
Yet you say you took the dog on a bus to buy milk in the first post!
Things dont add up!

When I was 10 a German Shephard chased me and bit me on the arm but I managed to climb a tree.
When my father heard of it, he took a wooden stick and marched me to the house of the ****** who had done nothing to stop the dog.
He opened the front gate where the dog was chained up, positioned me at the correct spot and order me to hit the now barking dog.
First blow was mild, but when I saw the dog cowering, I hit it so many times that my arms were hurting.
The owner was on the doorstep encouraged by my father to come out; he didn't.
That dog never bit anyone else and I never feared any dog again.

You should have hit the owner, not the dog.
I was under my father's commands.
I think the owner was hit in his dignity when he refused to come out and let his dog be hit by a 10 year old.
Incidentally that man was victim of a very strange car accident that left him disabled.
He was a seriously nasty piece of work, a true coward.

& if you lived 'round 'ere, your old man would have broken legs at best.
The nasty one wasn't my father.
That's until you pi$$ed him off...
Never seen him beat anyone, the look in his eyes was always enough to keep the arseholes at a distance.

You said irrational people Harry, I gave an example of why a grown woman had a fear of dogs, are you saying my mother was irrational.

Irrational/illogical yes. Why have fear of something which will not hurt you?

We do all have irrational fears, even me - if that is any consolation.

Sponsored Links
Back