Homeowners doing their own electrical work

You're talking now about people borrowing, to fund an investment on which they hope to make money? But they haven't set up a property company or investment company with filed accounts, and just pay personal tax?

Let's be fair about this.

Suppose as a private investor I borrow money to buy Premium Bonds, or shares in National Grid, or Krugerrands.

Should I be able to deduct the cost of the loan from my taxable profits and income?

Whatever rules apply to me should apply equally to Hawkeye when he borrows money to buy a bungalow and rent it out. And vice-versa.

Foreign property owners are already a scandal, and attempts have been made to treat them less generously.

Capital Gains Tax
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-closes-a-tax-gap-for-foreign-owners-1423760946

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/h...could-the-new-uk-property-tax-affect-you.html

Income Tax and an annual property tax
http://www.bkl.co.uk/how-we-can-help/sectors/property-and-real-estate/investing-in-uk-property/

Why are you dropping my name in there you thicko?

Sponsored Links
Because I have some comments relating to your long and inaccurate diatribe about what a hard life you have and how it isn't fair and the foreigners get all the breaks and the government hates you

I wouldn't pretend to understand why they would make foreign investor's their preference....
...As a white british person I feel hated and despised by my own government

Because I have some comments relating to your long and inaccurate diatribe about what a hard life you have and how it isn't fair and the foreigners get all the breaks and the government hates you

You will turn anything against anyone that doesn't agree with you and call them racist and everything else. You are a complete dumbass and your matey noseal is also a dumbass and you deserve all the abuse you get.

You're talking now about people borrowing, to fund an investment on which they hope to make money? But they haven't set up a property company or investment company with filed accounts, and just pay personal tax?
Why do you consider running a property for rent not a business when being an electrician is?

Let's be fair about this.

Suppose as a private investor I borrow money to buy Premium Bonds, or shares in National Grid, or Krugerrands.
Well, of course you have chosen an extreme example but if someone choses to, as you say, invest in property rather than invest in a vehicle and machinery as their business then any interest on loans is an expense.

Perhaps you should ask why the same rules are not going to be applied to corporate or foreign landlords which was the main point of mentioning it.

Sponsored Links
Why do you consider running a property for rent not a business when being an electrician is?

Well, of course you have chosen an extreme example but if someone choses to, as you say, invest in property rather than invest in a vehicle and machinery as their business then any interest on loans is an expense.

Perhaps you should ask why the same rules are not going to be applied to corporate or foreign landlords which was the main point of mentioning it.

Don't bother with him ffs it's the same sh1t everytime

I didn't.

I specifically said "You're talking now about people borrowing, to fund an investment on which they hope to make money? But they haven't set up a property company or investment company with filed accounts, and just pay personal tax?"

Why do you consider that a person borrowing money to invest in property should be treated more generously than a person borrowing money to invest in Premium Bonds, or shares, or Krugerrands?

If you buy a house to live in, you don't get tax relief on the interest. Why should the BTL investor be treated more generously than the occupier?

Last edited:
You will turn anything against anyone that doesn't agree with you and call them racist and everything else. You are a complete dumbass and your matey noseal is also a dumbass and you deserve all the abuse you get.

Time for your meds.

I didn't.

I specifically said "You're talking now about people borrowing, to fund an investment on which they hope to make money? But they haven't set up a property company or investment company with filed accounts, and just pay personal tax?"
What difference does it make whether they have set up a company?
Can they not be self-employed?

Why do you consider that a person borrowing money to invest in property should be treated more generously than a person borrowing money to invest in Premium Bonds, or shares, or Krugerrands?
Why do you consider that a person running a business speculating in Krugerrands hoping to make money should be treated more generously than a British person borrowing money to run a property business?.

I don't, and I have never suggested that.

What I believe is that people who borrow money hoping to invest in something should all be treated equally, no matter what colour or shape that "something" is.

I don't, and I have never suggested that.
...but you appear to think they should be treated more favourably than British private landlords.

What I believe is that people who borrow money hoping to invest in something should all be treated equally, no matter what colour or shape that "something" is.
...but they won't be if the Government proposals come into force.

Why do you consider that a person running a business speculating in Krugerrands hoping to make money should be treated more generously than a British person borrowing money to run a property business?.

Strange that you have started to bring nationality into it.

Do you think a British person investing in Sovereigns should be taxed differently to a British person investing in Krugerrands? What if they were investing in National Grid shares?

What about an Irish person speculating in UK housing stock?

What if the British person is domiciled abroad, and the Irish person is domiciled in the UK?

Show me where you think I said that.
...which implies (states) that they are treated more favourably which isn't the case and in future may be treated less favourably.

Sponsored Links
Back