Honeywell T40 to Hive Thermostat Mini

The Hive you had fitted required the base to be wired near the boiler, @bob-the-intern has said he does not want to alter wiring, the only wireless thermostat I know where the base is battery powered is the Nest e, all other wireless the base needs 230 volt power.

There are loads of programmable battery powered thermostats, I for years used a Horstmann DT2
s-l64.jpg
latter replaced with Flomaster View attachment 266070 the Horstmann was easy to use, the Flomaster needs combination of buttons and I had to keep the book with it, not intuitive, but both worked well, Horstmann 4 slots per day, Flomaster 6 slots per day. Batteries would last 2 years, but changed them every year as did not want it to fail, the battery indicator on the Horstmann would show good but there was not enough power to work relay, so first indication of discharged batteries was cold house.

The change to programmable was due to changing to LED lighting, pre-LED the inferred from the tungsten bulbs made the room feel warmer when lights were on, so set at 18°C all day, when we changed to LED wanted it 18°C in daylight and 20°C in evening. Does raise the question do LED lights really save energy? But change was because with tungsten changing a bulb every two weeks.

Actually it didn't require to be near the boiler. It is in the airing cupboard one floor up and 40 feet away from the boiler with the internet hub in the lounge at the other end of the house to the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Airing cupboard seems wrong place, but with modulating gas boilers one has to realise the on/off wall thermostat is only there to stop the boiler cycling in warm weather. Or is some cases act as a hub to collect information sent from the electronic TRV heads and from that decide if the boiler needs to run.

With a non modulating boiler the on/off thermostat may control area temperature, and with a modulating boiler and modulating thermostat again it may control area temperature.

I do see the idea of zone valves and thermostats to control them, but at least with my house we give the rooms names like craft room, office, garden room, kitchen, living room all which may be used day or night and are both up stairs and down stairs so any zoning needs to be room by room not up/down stairs. OK we have a block of 4 rooms used mainly for storage and these are grouped together as a zone, it would have originally been the garage, must have been rather large for garage, but most homes don't have 10 rooms not counting three bath/shower rooms and utility room.

Hive can work as a hub, however it has one major draw back, at 22°C it stops the demand for heat system. So the thermostat needs to be in a room normally kept cool. Heat raises so normally it would be on a lower floor, likely good location is the hall with most homes.

Airing cupboard seems wrong place, but with modulating gas boilers one has to realise the on/off wall thermostat is only there to stop the boiler cycling in warm weather. Or is some cases act as a hub to collect information sent from the electronic TRV heads and from that decide if the boiler needs to run.

With a non modulating boiler the on/off thermostat may control area temperature, and with a modulating boiler and modulating thermostat again it may control area temperature.

I do see the idea of zone valves and thermostats to control them, but at least with my house we give the rooms names like craft room, office, garden room, kitchen, living room all which may be used day or night and are both up stairs and down stairs so any zoning needs to be room by room not up/down stairs. OK we have a block of 4 rooms used mainly for storage and these are grouped together as a zone, it would have originally been the garage, must have been rather large for garage, but most homes don't have 10 rooms not counting three bath/shower rooms and utility room.

Hive can work as a hub, however it has one major draw back, at 22°C it stops the demand for heat system. So the thermostat needs to be in a room normally kept cool. Heat raises so normally it would be on a lower floor, likely good location is the hall with most homes.

Do you just come on here because you like the sound of your own voice?

I get the impression that if I said it had to be painted white you would insist it should be another colour.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back