How do I remove unwanted wall sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wall socket and tv ariel socket that I want to remove, just looking for some advice on how to safetly do this. I have been doing some research into it and getting lots of conflicting information... Some people say you should never remove sockets.. Yet there's video tutorials online showing how to do it.

To be extra safe, I will turn the power off in the whole house. Remove the plate and cut the wires if needed. But before I fill the hole, what should be done with the exposed wire? Some have said to tape it up, some say put a bag over it. What's the best way?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No to both of those!
If you need to remove the socket then the cabling will have to be pulled out and the circuit made safe. Leaving a cable in place would need a blanking plate to identify that a cable exists, in which case you may as well leave a socket in place.

Photo of what you have?

You cannot just cut and leave live electric wires buried in the wall with no indication that they are there.

There will likely be two cables with six wires, which, even if you remove the socket, must be joined to maintain the circuit.

As above, you could then put a blank plate on it but then you might as well leave the socket there.

As for the TV socket, disconnect the other end of the cable wherever that is then you can bury it.

Sponsored Links
Why should any socket be unwanted?
Why do you question the OP's request.
I have removed loads over the years for customers.
On one wall alone there were over 30 outlets removed and another with about 20.
Lost count of the number before fitting kitchen and bedroom furniture.

I inherited a 3mx 3m kitchen which had 21 double sockets in it , the lounge only had 17.

Hi,

I have a wall socket and tv ariel socket that I want to remove, just looking for some advice on how to safetly do this. I have been doing some research into it and getting lots of conflicting information... Some people say you should never remove sockets.. Yet there's video tutorials online showing how to do it.
For better or worse, most online video sites don't vet their videos for safety or compliance.
To be extra safe, I will turn the power off in the whole house. Remove the plate and cut the wires if needed. But before I fill the hole, what should be done with the exposed wire? Some have said to tape it up, some say put a bag over it. What's the best way?
There isn't really one, that is why many people discourage removing sockets, doing it properly can turn into a big job.

You have two problems.

1. Concealed cables in walls must normally be run in "safe zones". Horizontally or vertically from an accessory is considered a "safe zone" but if the accessory is eliminated, so is the corresponding safe zone. So in most cases, removing a socket will mean that the cable(s) running to that socket are no longer compliant and will need to be eliminated as well.
2. Terminations of cables need to be within a suitable enclosure, and if they will not be accessible for inspection they need to be done in a way approved for that use. Screw terminals are almost never* allowed for concealed joints, spring terminals are only allowed if they are part of an approved maintenance free junction box, soldering and crimping are allowed but are not options I would generally recommend to DIYers.

If the socket is fed by cables from the same floor or ceiling void, then generally the easiest option is to pull or cut the cables back to said void, then install a maintenance free junction box in said void.

If the socket has cables coming from multiple directions or there is no floor/ceiling void things get much harder.

* The exception being resin encapsulated joints used underground.

Because it seems strange to me to want to remove sockets, something that you can never have too many of.
Well you blatantly can and as I commented I've lost count of the number I've been asked to do for a whole plethora of reasons,
OP came for advice not to be criticised/interogated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back