How long does concrete need to dry before I can lay tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says really; How long does concrete need to dry before I can lay tiles on it? The concrete and screed together are 150mm - it was laid 8 weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
Rules of thumb are:

1) I day per mm
2) 1 week per cm
3) 1 month per inch

Take your pick or get it accurately measured for your circumstances. If you do a search on this forum you will get the correct humidity figutres.

Rules of thumb are:

1) I day per mm
2) 1 week per cm
3) 1 month per inch

Take your pick or get it accurately measured for your circumstances. If you do a search on this forum you will get the correct humidity figutres.
blimey lot off variation :D like the weather i suppose
21 weeks
15 weeks
or 24/26 weeks

Allow 1 day per mm thickness but a minimum of 28 days which is the time it takes for the cement in the concrete/screed to fully chemically cure.

Sponsored Links
The reason I ask is that I was aiming to move into the house at the end of October and wanted to lay the tiles on the floor before moving in - which would mean the floor would have had approx 13-14 weeks drying time. Do you think I'd get away with it? Will it have any adverse affects if there is moisture trapped under the tiles as a result? Really don't want to move in and be walking around on concrete floors for another 3 months! :(

A friend of mine was in a similar situation and laid the tiles......................... which came off in the following months.

Is this a new-build ? If so ask developer and let us know his reply as I would be curious to know what they say.

It's a 1960's build - the backfill in the original floors wasn't packed down and over the years it settled leaving voids under the concrete. As a result the concrete sank and we had to rip the floors out and start again. So it looks as though I'll be enjoying concrete floors til xmas then! :cry:

So it looks as though I'll be enjoying concrete floors til xmas then!

Look on the bright side. At least you won't have to get the Christmas tree needles out of the carpet :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back