How long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was doing some work at a customers house today and they said the house had only just been rewired.

I casually asked about the work and was shocked/amazed to hear that the two electricians who came to do the job rewired a three bedroom house in two days (staring at 8 am and finishing at 6pm each day)

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to do a full rewire in that time, at least not properly.

Has anyone ever heard of two people completing a rewire that fast?

Sponsored Links
Not a chance.

I used to rewire ex council houses for a builder.

They were gutted, and we fitted 1 light and 2 sockets per room.

We did not make good at all, and there was little chasing to do, as most of the plaster was off and ceiling down etc.

It would take us about 3 days with 2 men start to finish including testing.

An occupied rewire that size, including making good etc, I would expect to take two WEEKS, for a man and boy.

Took our spark two days in 1980, just one man and his wife sweeped up. Since then I have discovered no earth links in any of the metal back boxes, the bathroom light junction consists of terminal block and insulation tape, and all the wires coming out of the CU are hidden under the kitchen door frame as we found out when my dad tried to drill into it :D

Probably all done to 14th edition regs and all legal at the time, but it leaves a lot to be disered now.

Sponsored Links
Although I think it is good practice to fit a link between an accessory and the back box, if is the back box is sunk into the wall and incorporates a fixed lug then for items such as sockets or FCUs which earth the mounting screws the link may be omitted.

Yep :) the other issue is that there are two false ceilings, we had to replace one and when we did we discovered the rose behind it was of late 50's and early 60's with the original black wire, although the wire did seem to be PCV so I guess its not a major problem.

The most shocking thing was that the imersion heater was above the bath in a carboard cupboard and there was no real protection from water or steam, this was removed in the early 80's thankfully.

Two weeks seems to be an awful long time, but I guess if that includes all the making good and a not of extra new chases all that little work must all add up.

The big time consumer is moving furniture at the beginning and end of each day, lifting and refitting carpets each day, cutting up and refixing floorboards, vaccing the house every day, making sure that all the lights and sockets are on every night......

Infact the wiring doesn't take much time at all. It's all the f-ing about.

Thats why I don't do domestic.

hehe yeah I can imagine :). I think if I had ever had sparks in to wire the house I will take anything valuable out of the house and just tell them to make as much mess as they want then sort out the making good when they have done. Its not fair to expect sparks to not make a mess.

Oh, you'd be amazed...

Customers complaining that you haven't put back the 67 trinkets on the mantle peice in the right order, or there is some dust on the sideboard which you haven't cleaned up :evil: :evil:

I guess you need to give a disclaimer saying wiring work is major constructoon work and while you try not to make a mess sometimes it is impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back