How to avoid a day out with the family...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following our discussion last night on Secures birthday thread, 'Another One Passes Me By....' regarding me going out with the family to a National Trust property today, here's what happened last night....

Well I know I didn't really want to go but this is taking it a bit far.... guess what I was doing at 1.30am last night/this morning....

Being taken into A+E!!!! Went to bed last night at around 1am ish but couldn't settle. Then my chest started feeling heavy!!! Then I couldn't breath properly and then I started to shake violently (like someone with Parkinsons). Woke the wife, she got the fright of her life (I seem to do this to her a lot! It was the Asthma Attack last time), she wouldn't take no for an answer and dialed 999.

Anyway.... been on a flamin ECG all night. No sleep. Seen docs about 2 hours ago and he said it looks like Atrial Fibrillation (AF). Quite common apparently. But I've been released hurray! and will be sent a letter to go for a Echo Sound of the heart structure and a 24 hour ECG. I go to get fitted and wear it for 24 hours doing normal stuff. This is to see if I am having AF without knowing. Oh and I have to start taking Asprin every day! I'm only 43!!! But it all sounds fairly innocuous.... until you read up on it!!! http://www.londonafcentre.co.uk/symptoms_signs_risks.php It's enough to send you into AF!!! :eek:

Hope it all goes well! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Blas, sorry to hear you have had a scare, hopefully all will be well, i wish you a full & speedy recovery, and perhaps it is a reminder to all of us that we are not untouchable with these things

Blas you have my sympathy, it happened to me about two and a half years ago, woke up one morning sweating profusely, hardly able to breath, could feel, and hear my heart, pounding away in my chest.
I managed to get to the doctors, he did a quick check up then, phoned the hospital to have me admitted.
Arterial fibrilation, and asthma, I was drowning in my own lung fluid.
Eventually got stabilized, was in for a week.
I have been for cardiac reversion (shocking the heart back into rhythm)
at first it was a success, but soon reverted to being erratic again, it's something I will have to live with.
Medication Digoxin and Warfarin (for life), all this hit me at the age of 61, till then I had not had any medical problems at all.

Just take it easy, and do as the doctor says, and you will be ok.

Wotan

Thank you very much for the kind words gents. It's been a wake up call (another one!). Gonna get myself fit for my son and my wife.

Thank you once again.

Sponsored Links
i'm only 33..
I often feel my heart stutter. feels like it skips a beat or one half seems to beat out of synch..
usually only a hicup, just one beat or so..
when I was 30 it happened for about 2 minutes.. wouldn't settle..
I went to my doctors the next day to tell him.. he said I was ok now but he sent me to the hospital for a blood test and booked me in for an ECG.. 3 WEEKS LATER!!!!!

blood tests came back and said I hadn't had a heart attack.. (duh!!), so I waited for the ECG..
I was expecting several hours hooked up to the machine or a brisk walk on a treadmill or something to give it a really good look over..
it was all done in about 5 mins..
stick the pads on, lie there for about 3 mins, take the pads off...
what the hell? why did I have to wait 3 weeks for that.. surely it's something the surgery could have and do while I'm there if it's that short..?
and 3 weeks? if I had broken my arm and had to wait 3 weeks for an x-ray it would have healed by then..

Those 'flutters' sound like what I have had over the years Col. Keep an eye on that bud.

Thank you very much PrenticeBoyofDerry. So many kind hearted (excuse the pun!), folk on here. Makes me proud to be a member of what is a form of extended friends and family. It really does make a difference guys so once again, a big thank you.

Now then, enough of all this tea and sympathy, who is up for an argument? :LOL:..... On second thoughts, better not, might trigger a AF!!!! :eek: :D

Look after yourself blas, we need you back here to referee your word threads :D
All the best

Yes, those National Trust properties should come with a health warning, you know. At least the problem has been identified pretty quickly, Blas, and that steps can be taken to monitor your progress to full recovery. Have you been told to modify your lifestyle eg cut down sugar intake, excercise more, or is it just the aspirins? Good luck, in anycase. ;)

Glad your sortin it Blas keep it up.

On a sobering note my best mate complained of something similar to this, and not too many years after he had a massive thrombotic coronary. Dead before he hit the floor at 33 years old.

Beware all

Yes, those National Trust properties should come with a health warning, you know. At least the problem has been identified pretty quickly, Blas, and that steps can be taken to monitor your progress to full recovery. Have you been told to modify your lifestyle eg cut down sugar intake, excercise more, or is it just the aspirins? Good luck, in anycase. ;)
Thanks for the good luck wishes. Not really been told a lot to be honest mate. Much to my wife's annoyance. I got wrong for not asking too! Yep I have to take the Aspirin. He did say basically STOP drinking! An odd glass is fine but that's it. And I don't smoke (never have). Oh and Tea, Coffee and Coke. Gotta watch the Caffeine as that can start your heart racing but we've had Caffeine Free Tea/Coffee in our house for years (wife goes all wobbly when she has caffeine).

Glad your sortin it Blas keep it up.

On a sobering note my best mate complained of something similar to this, and not too many years after he had a massive thrombotic coronary. Dead before he hit the floor at 33 years old.

Beware all
OH! :eek: Well I'll keep this short, I might not get to the end of the sentence! :D Thanks mate.

Now listen, you've all got to stop this! I'm going red! It really is very nice of you all though. :oops:

You sure it was not a result of having a nightmare that someone had bought you and you where wearing that lovely new yellow top :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back