How to avoid a day out with the family...

Sponsored Links
Blas,
just found this so you are probably in the land of nod by now mate.
Just want to wish you all the best for a speedy recovery and to take life easy in future, its just not worth the hassle at the end of the day mate.
I used to rush around as though there was no tomorrow, come home from work stressing about the job and generally be known as 'The Bear with the Sore Head.'
Then one day this old fella took me to one side and gave me the best piece of advice I have ever had the pleasure of taking.

"Clock off, switch off and f*&k off! The job will still be there in the morning but if you go on the way you are you might not be."

Since then I have been one of the most laid back sods walking this earth and I enjoy life. No excesses, just pleasure in everyday things such as my grand children, nature and human achievments.
remember the story about the hare and the tortoise?
The hare raced away while the tortoise ambled along. The hare couldn't even remember which way he had come but the tortoise noticed the flowers, the birds, the plants and the trees that he had passed along the way.
Thats what life is about, 'SEEING' things and appreciating them for what they really are.
I know a few 'scare' stories as well but I'm not going to worry or depress you by repeating them.
Just take it easy and enjoy life.
Speak to you soon mate.

Sponsored Links
Check your messages when you wake up. ;)
And you. ;) Thanks for your good wishes mate.

Thank you gregers.

Now that's enough lads. Lets move on. I'm gonna turn into some gushing wreck if this keeps up.

Thank you all so very much. It really does help.

All the very best to you all and your lot.

Blas.

I feel partly responsible for this, if only by association...(only kidding!)

Not making light of your condition, but I'm glad it was not more serious.

As you know, I'm 43 now & for a while have had to slow down & not subject myself to stressful situations.

It's very difficult accepting that for all of your life (up to the point of illness) you've been free of any medical conditions, then suddenly WHAM! you get hit with something that knocks you completely for 6.

It has a serious impact on your lifestyle for the rest of your life, meaning you have to readjust your life to take that into account. You sometimes almost have to mourn the fact that there are some things you will not be able to do again, or some major adjustments you need to make.

I have found it quite depressing at times, but I focus on the fact that I still have my life & my family and look to the future & get on with it. You need to look forward and to what you have, not back at what you've lost.

Oh and I have to start taking Asprin every day! I'm only 43!!!

Hope it all goes well! :confused:

Blas,
Sorry to hear about your scare.
I noticed the bit about taking Asprin, I was put on it four years ago and ever since I started taking it, every time I just catch my arm it bleeds for days on end and I have to carry plasters around because once I start to bleed I cannot stop it.
They even gave me some cream because I would have spontaneous nose bleeds for no reason at all.

I read this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8072215.stm

and so went to see the doc and he told me to stay off the asprin for a month then have a blood test. Test results proved I did not need to take the asprin, just a tablet at night to keep my cholestrol in check.
Even three months since I stopped taking Asprin, if I scratch my arm and break the skin, it takes ages to stop bleeding and I have bruises every where just from slight knocks which in the past would not have left a mark.

Take the pills as prescribed but if you start having bleeding problems from minor knocks, go back and see the doc again.

dave

Well, Blas, I'm nearly 43, so we can do it (get fit(ter) that is) online together. Whilst no health scare, I am in quite shocking shape for my age, I reckon a good dose of getting fitter, would do me the power of good.

I sincerely hope you're feeling better, and take it easy.

Asprin ( with a capital A ) is a trade mark.. asprin ( lower case a ) isn't..

the generic name is "acetylsalicylic acid"

Aspirin also has an antiplatelet effect by inhibiting the production of thromboxane, which under normal circumstances bind platelet molecules together to repair damaged blood vessels. This is why aspirin is used in long-term, low doses to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and blood clot formation in people at high risk for developing blood clots. It has also been established that low doses of aspirin may be given immediately after a heart attack to reduce the risk of another heart attack or of the death of cardiac tissue.

Dad has to take them every day after his heart attack come 10 years ago.. but they aren't the "off the shelf" variety.. they are much smaller doses..

When I had a problem about 4 years ago I was told to take 75mg of aspirin a day to help keep my blood thin.
I also heard that the government advises everyone over 45 to take one as a matter of course.

Crickey that's all food for thought! I've stopped reading up on AF as if I read any more I'll have a flamin heart attack worrying about what could happen!

My dose of aspirin is 75mg and I have to take one with or after food in the morning.

As I mentioned to the Doc, in the past and for as long as I can remember (even at senior school age), I have experienced a sort of fluttering of my heart every once in a while. I haven't had one for a while, maybe a year or so but this 'fluttering' seems to point an accused finger straight at AF. The 'episode' I had the other night was far worse than these flutters and unlike the flutters, it didn't just go after a minute or two it continued until I was given the drugs in hospital which I was told were 'Beta-Blockers'.I have been relatively fine since then apart from a little shaky yesterday (no not Stevens! :D ).

Eddie, that sounds like a capital idea! How could we set this up? Anyone else up for it? One thing my wife is mad about is that I didn't ask the Doc what I should/shouldn't do ie Can I exercise? Should I avoid getting excited and/or involved in situations that may involve tension? I'm thinking about things like watching sports and/or doing tests. You know, that sort of thing. Have any of you guys got any experience of this condition? Can you offer any advice?

Thanks in advance guys.

Blas, it's a condition you have to live with, try to avoid stressful situations, and things that involve physical effort, gentle excercise is the order of the day.
If you feel tired, then go and have a rest, don't force yourself to do things if you don't feel comfortable.
Take the medication as prescribed at the correct times, (I am very fortunate in that my wife was a trained nurse, she administers all my tablets at the correct time)
Just take it easy Blas, if you wish to converse off line, to ask any questions you like, then I will be happy to give any help I can.

Wotan

Blimey!

What a load of old crocks we're turning out to be...!

Thanks for that wotan and also for the offer of advice. I may well take you up on it some time.

Does this mean I can't go to the gym say? I know I started this thread with a bit of 'tongue in cheek' about not wanting to go to a National Trust property with the rest of the family but I have been wondering whether it's something I can do now. I mean, what the hell would I do if I was half way round on a walk in one of those places? We go to a one near us called Gibside http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-gibside with our son and walk round the land. Its 400 acres in total, not sure what length the walk is but you'd be a fair old way from the main entrance if you took ill half way round. Should I be avoiding this sort of thing from now on? If so it's going to have a massive effect on what we do with our son!

Actually, don't answer my questions lads. It's starting to get me down now.

Anyway, thank you so very much once again to everyone. I really mean it.

Sponsored Links
Back