I want to remove a 3 pin round lamp socket - how??

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't understand this modern craze of replacing white plastic switches and sockets with brushed metal. 13amp plugs are usually black or white plastic so once they are plugged in the effect is lost anyway. I'm not sure of the quality of some of this modern metal electrical furniture either. Can't beat a good MK or Crabtree product in my opinion.

Yes, I love the gold plated MK stuff. So expensive! But I don't think they make it any more. :cry:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't understand this modern craze of replacing white plastic switches and sockets with brushed metal. .
Another nice thing over here is that switches, receptacles and cover plates are all still available in the traditional ivory & brown options - The former just blends in better in many situations than the starker plain white, and the latter still works well on darker walls, or against darker wood paneling etc. Most major brands do also have plain white as well these days, and some add almond as an alternative, along with other options such as gray and black for the "designer" crowd.

Sponsored Links
I sometimes wondered why no manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) ever made a double 13A socket as a single unit with separate terminals for each socket.
Such an accessory would be Jolly Useful for extending a ring final from a socket.

And sadly that would be its downfall - I estimate that within less than 1 hour of such an accessory hitting the shelves in a shed, some numpty will have contrived to break a ring final by installing it.

The 'link' would then be your new extension wiring, which would do away with having to join 2 cables in the back of the box with crimps or whatever.

I have come across a customer-supplied double socket - can't recall the make - that had this "feature" of two separate sockets in the one enclosure. IIRC it was one of those triangular ones that goes on a kitchen worktop. It was a bloomin' nuisance.

As I was installing it (and linking the two halves to make it a double, rather than two singles) it broke the regs as the socket location was a spur. One half was a spur, and the second was therefore a spur from a spur.

And sadly that would be its downfall - I estimate that within less than 1 hour of such an accessory hitting the shelves in a shed, some numpty will have contrived to break a ring final by installing it.
Numpties will always do things that are not right. That is no reason to prevent the sensible people having access to items they need to complete projects that are well planned and properly installed.

I sometimes wondered why no manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) ever made a double 13A socket as a single unit with separate terminals for each socket.
Such an accessory would be Jolly Useful for extending a ring final from a socket.
Indeed - it would be a (probably cheaper) alternative to eric's often-posted idea of using a unit with two 13A socket modules for that purpose.

Kind Regards, John

... And sadly that would be its downfall - I estimate that within less than 1 hour of such an accessory hitting the shelves in a shed, some numpty will have contrived to break a ring final by installing it.
Maybe that (as you say, inevitable) risk could be mitigated to some extent by supplying/selling them with links between the sockets, which would have to be removed by anyone wanting to use them 'unlinked'.

Kind Regards, John

As I was installing it (and linking the two halves to make it a double, rather than two singles) it broke the regs as the socket location was a spur. One half was a spur, and the second was therefore a spur from a spur.
Interesting the way you phrased that: If you considered that linking the two halves turned it into a double socket and it therefore ceased to be two singles, then surely that would be compliant?

Whatever the "official" interpretation of such a situation, of course, for all practical electrical purposes as far as the spur cable and load on the ring is concerned, there's no difference between a double socket with internal links between the two halves or two adjacent single sockets connected by a few inches of external conductor. (Except that one might then be able to draw 2 x 13A safely from the sockets rather than 20A combined ;) )

So when creating a spur from a spur, can you tell me where it is specified the maximum distance of wiring that may be allowed beween socket 1 and socket 2. Are you saying that 5cm is OK, but 10cm is not?

In my book, and according to the regs, a spur cannot have another socket connected to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back