Illegal gas work?!!!

Goldie, I think that the phrase that you are looking for is "Not yet competent"

Where is it written that it is illegal to trade without public liabillity insurance?

Good question Corgigrouch ;)

There's an artical in this months PhamNews saying thousands of small businesses are risking bankruptcy by not having Liability insurance, forget the figure but they reckon something like only 7% have one. :eek:

Sponsored Links
each individual has a personal registration number, via their firm, so each RGI IS registered, with the firm having a company GSR number,

this individual numbeer allows an RGI to work for his company, whatever the time, but the individual is not allwed to work on their own, i didnt say it was illegal to work without PLI or overheads, but i dont think it is acceptable for an employee to work on their own work without these items as they are undercutting legitimate business's as their company is paying all the bills to have them registered.

If someone wants to do work outwith their company all they have to do is pay £400 (then £200 each year) to register with GSR then pay their tax etc, whats the prob with them doing this?

That is scary DIA... Years ago, I was mortified to learn that Public liabillity was not a requirement of CORGI registration. I work on the theory that if I pay for it I'll never need it but all it takes is a missed joint whilst hurrying on a Friday evening and the customer wake up to a swimming pool in his living room..... :eek:

That is scary DIA... Years ago, I was mortified to learn that Public liabillity was not a requirement of CORGI registration. I work on the theory that if I pay for it I'll never need it but all it takes is a missed joint whilst hurrying on a Friday evening and the customer wake up to a swimming pool in his living room..... :eek:

Isn't it just.

Only 8% of gas fitters are covered for work errors. on the front page of PhamNews.

Sponsored Links
Where is it written that it is illegal to trade without public liabillity insurance?
It isn't - I made a mistake - I was thinking of employer's liability insurance (for employers, clearly).

PLI is optional, although it's madness to take the risk of not having it.

Presumably, a competent person becomes an incompetent person after 5 PM and at weekends - ie when not working for their employer.
Where do you get it from? I honestly wonder if you are ever going to post something useful on here.
How on earth could somebody loose his skills and knowledge at 5 o'clock, and suddenly regain all that the following morning?

each individual has a personal registration number, via their firm, so each RGI IS registered, with the firm having a company GSR number, this individual numbeer allows an RGI to work for his company, whatever the time, but the individual is not allwed to work on their own, i didnt say it was illegal to work without PLI or overheads, but i dont think it is acceptable for an employee to work on their own work without these items as they are undercutting legitimate business's as their company is paying all the bills to have them registered. If someone wants to do work outwith their company all they have to do is pay £400 (then £200 each year) to register with GSR then pay their tax etc, whats the prob with them doing this?

Possibly a moral point, but that's not the point is it?

If someone wants to do work outwith their company all they have to do is pay £400 (then £200 each year) to register with GSR then pay their tax etc, whats the prob with them doing this?

The problem is that they are mean and dishonest!

They dont want to pay the normal overheads of a legitimate business, undercut their employer and rip off the customers!

Tony

The problem is that they would be competing unfairly. Unless of course the company they work for would be unlikely to be interested in the job, and the chap would not use his boss':
van
tools
materials
fga

and make sure he still manges to get plenty of rest so he would be as fit to start a new week on monday as if he had not been moonlighting at all.

The problem is that they are mean and dishonest!

That isn't the problem at all.

The real problem is the number of mean and dishonest customers who are prepared to accept sub-standard and uninsured work in exchange for a smaller initial outlay.
Those customers aren't being ripped off - they're getting exactly what they deserve.

Personally i dont have any problem with anyone doing private work or how much they charge working registered or not.
If gas safe corgi or who ever deem you safe to work during the day under whoevers registration then they should be deemed safe no matter what time it is.

Although the chances are his boss would be busy in one of his other directorial / advisory / quango roles, or on a jolly out of the country or too busy in the 19th hole, waiting for the multi million ££ pension / payoff etc etc to notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back