Inflammable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you know it means the same as flammable?

You'd think it was the opposite, but no!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Of course, another opposite is 'non-combustible'. :)
It must be Friday again :)

However, I'm not convinced that combustible and flammable/inflammable are, strictly speaking, always necessarily the same. As I understand it (as as the word implies), the later implies flames, but there are forms of combustion (like 'smouldering') which don't involve flames.

Kind Regards, John

What about the word cleave?

It has two meanings, and both are the opposite of each other.

(cleave: to join together / cleave: to split apart)

Originally when I were a lad flammable was American for inflammable. The opposites were non flammable and non inflammable. For some reason we have adopted this Americanism. Let's hope we don't adopt any more.

Originally when I were a lad flammable was American for inflammable.
... which, if true, to me would suggest that, just for once, the Americans probably 'got it right'!

I would imagine that 'flammable' has the same (intuitive/implied, if not dictionary) meaning on both sides of the water, and "in" is a very well-established 'negating prefix' in English, so 'inflammable' (meaning 'flammable'!) never really made much sense!

Kind Regards, John

I only noticed the term flammable when I lived in Australia, previously in the UK it was inflammable

If you think of the original word as 'inflame' and then 'inflame-able' then the 'in' part begins to make more sense...................but confusing in a way that innocuous and nocuos are not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back