Installing dimmer switches

Sponsored Links
Oh god, I'm losing the will to live here. Does anyone know where I can buy the type of dual switch shown on the RF lighting posting picture? I've tried the web and Enfield Electrics - a large electrical wholesaler - but they told me I'd have to have one custom made which would be v expensive.

The one RF shows is made up of separate modules, a dimmer module as in the one in the pic that Crafty posted, a switch, a 2 gang frame and a two gang plastic white grid plate. They are all available from here:TLC direct

which for the 2nd time is what i said in the first place

why you no read?

Sponsored Links
windymillar said:
Oh god, I'm losing the will to live here. Does anyone know where I can buy the type of dual switch shown on the RF lighting posting picture? I've tried the web and Enfield Electrics - a large electrical wholesaler - but they told me I'd have to have one custom made which would be v expensive.

SO AM I!

I've asked you to desribe what these switches actually do, but you have not told me so I cannot tell you which switch is suitable and therefore where to buy it from........

JESUS!

Why do people ask for advice then not f'in listen????

breezer said:
thats better. :)

the word "top" is not now at the bottom

Or, indeed is it upside down any more.

But, the picture is.

Hmm. Something's not right here..... Crafty??? :LOL:

I described what it does at my first posting on Saturday. One responder has sent in a pic of what I am looking for (RF Lighting) but I don't know where I can get it. In a nutshell:

It is a dual light switch. Two switches on one flat, white plate. One switch is a standard normal switch which simply turns a set of 4 spots on and off. The other switch is a dimmer which you press and twist to switch a fifth light on and dim it.

We know what the switch does, and we know that what you need is one made up from a grid system, which is not a "v. expensive custom solution".

RF Lighting has posted a picture of a 2-module grid plate with one dimmer and one switch, you have said "it looks exactly right", but still you aren't listening when you are told that's what you need.

Breezer has told you 3 times that you need a grid switch, and given you a link to a site with good pictures, and where you can buy one.

Yet still you aren't listening.

I really don't see what else we can do to help you, if you refuse to read what we write, and keep on asking the same question over again, no matter how many times it is answered.

Ok - I've just ordered what I think I want from TLC. Not a grid but a double dimmer which they're going to adapt.

Thanks for all your help - I got there in the end. Apologies if I seemed dense - some of the responses got too technical for me. Oh well, at least I had a go which is more than my husband would!

windymillar said:
Ok - I've just ordered what I think I want from TLC. Not a grid but a double dimmer which they're going to adapt.

:eek: Adapt how?

The picture I posted is exactly what you need. If you take the front off your switch, you will see a metal plate holding 2 switch modules in. I have never used this system before, but it is my understanding that the 2 modules will click out of the metal plate. Then you unwire the wires from the dimmer module, wire in the new dimmer, clip it in place, and replace the white cover. Simple. Or is it . . .

Probably with one of these

But a replacement grid dimmer is what is actually required by the OP

Dimmers can be adapted to just switch on & off... Although how this affects the warranty, I don't know!!

What they've said they'll do is sell me a dual dimmer switch plus a single standard switch and swap one dimmer on the dual plate for the standard switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back