is 1Litre big enough for Octavia?

Yep, that's my understanding too; I was hoping they'd do away with RFL but perhaps it now has to stay (and possibly get worse, because charging an EV at home isn't as easy to distinguish from other electrical loads/can't easily charge a premium on the fuel)

Sponsored Links
Any car bigger than a focus hatchback needs at least a 2.5 V6.
Unless you're happy to crawl about.

Now now; your crapspout already got one (became-)motoring thread locked today.. How about offering something less contentious, in a different topic of conversation?

Now now; your crapspout already got one (became-)motoring thread locked today.. How about offering something less contentious, in a different topic of conversation?
How was my fault???
I don't understand why some threads are locked when there's a civilised conversation going on.
There was no swearing, no abusing, nothing offensive.
Is this going on in the wake of covid censoring?
If you don't say what the narrative says, we block the conversation.
I understand this is not real world, so freedom of speech doesn't exist, but to close a conversation just because there's a disagreement of views, seems a bit tyrannical.
North Korea docet.

Sponsored Links
Is the octavia an estate?
If so I absolutely would not entertain a 1L engine in it, you get estate cars because you can fill them when needed and with only 1l it will struggle to go anywhere when filled.

I'm not sure the capacity matters much these days, when manufacturers can achieve massive power outputs from small engines. Driveability, economy and longevity should be the focus.

I'm not sure the capacity matters much these days, when manufacturers can achieve massive power outputs from small engines. Driveability, economy and longevity should be the focus.

There is a saying no replacement for displacement.

There is still a requirement for engine capacity.

Off boost these small capacity engines are laboured by the weight of these larger cars. These engines only create enough torque on boost. Generally speaking these small engines "can" create max torque between 1500 & 2000rpm, but the accelerator has to be fully depressed in order to do this. These small capacity engines are great, but they do have their limits, as stated a car such as an Octavia needs a 1.4 engine, which is still small capacity for the size of car.

My brother has a cactus 1.2 turbo 110hp, me and a friend have just rebuilt the engine at 70k miles. I got the displeasure of driving it home the other day, and if I'm honest, I was both impressed and depressed with it. The car itself is awful, my 2005 a4 is a much nicer drive but I digress, the engine off boost pulling out of junctions, or in a high gear 30mph in 4th gear the engine was really laboured and just lacked the natural torque of a larger capacity engine, when the engine was on boost I was pleasantly surprised and it had a useful turn of speed. Found it a bit Jekyll and Hyde tbh, it's the off boost performance is the reason why I wouldn't recommend these small capacity engine in large cars.

I think a focus is the limit for a 1.0 litre engine.

Formula one engines make massive power from small displacement, but they are not long lived. The more you stress it, the sooner it dies!

My brother has a cactus 1.2 turbo 110hp
the engine off boost pulling out of junctions, or in a high gear 30mph in 4th gear the engine was really laboured and just lacked the natural torque of a larger capacity engine, when the engine was on boost I was pleasantly surprised and it had a useful turn of speed
Personally I haven't felt any issues with torque. My C3 has the same kerbweight as the C4 Cactus (for a bigger car, the Cactus is super light!), though I have found Citroen's gear ratios are a lot higher than my old car (accounting for the final drive ratio and wheel size difference, my old cars 5th gear was very similar to C3's 4th gear ratio) - I suspect to get decent high speed economy, with only five gears.
At 30 you are only just into 4th gear territory and 40mph is 5th gear.
As I said earlier, my main gripe with the engine Is the harshness of it, purely for the driver.
Performance wise, on boost, it has shown up a few boy racers :)

...and if Skodas PR team is to be believed ;) ....

Last edited:
Personally I haven't felt any issues with torque. My C3 has the same kerbweight as the C4 Cactus (for a bigger car, the Cactus is super light!), though I have found Citroen's gear ratios are a lot higher than my old car (accounting for the final drive ratio and wheel size difference, my old cars 5th gear was very similar to C3's 4th gear ratio) - I suspect to get decent high speed economy, with only five gears.
As I said earlier, my main gripe with the engine Is the harshness of it, purely for the driver.

I didn't find much wrong with the harshness of the engine, this one seems quite smooth, maybe because it's just been rebuilt. I agree with your other points, on his car the dash is telling you to change up to 4th when doing 30.

Having looked seems like the cactus has a Kerb weight of 1 tonne. Seems rather light, Skoda has a Kerb weight a couple of hundred kgs heavier

I have two diesel cars, a Kia and a Jag, both nearly the same BHP, Jag 8 forward gears, Kia 10, (high and low range) very diffrent, both could tow the caravan I had, the old Kia really had my money's worth, the Jag however is no where near as practical, however driving the Jag is lovely, the Kia in Wales where I live, play a tune on the gear box, maybe the Jag does as well, but I don't need to change them, it does it automatic.

OK there are paddles, can manually select, but I don't.

But my point is both good cars, but very diffrent, and it's down to what you want, I am quite OK riding to Welshpool in the summer 8 miles from home, on my e-bike, and can just beat the train which takes 50 minutes, and if feeling lazy put it on train on way back.

But most people want to go a tad faster.

Seems daft looking at miles per gallon, the Jag even if it is 2 litre is very good, far better than Kia at 2.6 litre, and until diesel became became so much more expensive than petrol both the diesels did more miles to pound to the 1.4 litre Honda Jazz. Now the Jazz has come into it's own, but that was just luck. Yes lovely to drive the Jazz, and there is enough room to open doors being so much narrower.

So it's down to what you want. No one else.

Is the octavia an estate?
If so I absolutely would not entertain a 1L engine in it, you get estate cars because you can fill them when needed and with only 1l it will struggle to go anywhere when filled.
Good point. It is a hatchback rather than an estate,, but it does have a huge boot - which is one of the attractions, having 2 grandchildren that we regualrly ferry around . (They are not in the boot, though).

I am guessing I am like most people. Limited knowledge but would have made every one of the initial comments. I suppose we will he=ave to wait for reliability reports in a few years.

Sponsored Links
Back