is 1Litre big enough for Octavia?

Thanks for all the comments (a few way above my head !), sorry I appear to have disappeared. I had, its Xmas.

I had a fruitless rainy day in Peterborough looking at cars, came away non the wiser, if I'm honest. As said, I have generally bought nearly new cars and kept them a while. But I am going to look at the Merc C tomorrow morning. It is a 220d SE Exec, but not sure if the trim level . Parkers list "Basic" and "standard" equipment (as well as "optional" that I get) for the same model . So have no idea if for example it has Sat Nav.#

Maybe too late for this - but is there anything I should be specifically checking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just look for general wear and tear. Does the condition of the bodywork, interior trim, handles, pedals, knobs and switches look as they should for the mileage claimed. FSH, no gaps, mot history which can be checked online with just the reg number. How does it drive, no pulling to one side when braking. Wheel scuffs, tyre walls. Is the salesman pushy. Condition under the bonnet.

Just look for general wear and tear. Does the condition of the bodywork, interior trim, handles, pedals, knobs and switches look as they should for the mileage claimed. FSH, no gaps, mot history which can be checked online with just the reg number. How does it drive, no pulling to one side when braking. Wheel scuffs, tyre walls. Is the salesman pushy. Condition under the bonnet.

Thanks.

This is a motor which I may buy from my wife's colleague. I do trust her, in terms of her not knowingly selling me a "pup". She is selling ot to me for a little under the "we buy any car" offered price - she knows they charge fees and will probably downrate the offered price for the slightest reason.

I have looked at the MOT record, and the mileage was relatively high for the first 3 years then very low thereafter. That fits in with what \I know about her and her late husband. The 20K miles per year in the first 3 suggests a company car, or maybe a rental, but that it true if many cars on the road and particularly for sale in 2Car Supermarkets. One can ony assume that all servicing was on date and to par.. All of the MOT's passed first time.

As for looking under the bonnet - I don't think there is anything to see these days! Obviously one does not want to see any oil splatters or dubious stains..

I hgave to call the insurance company in the morning t majke sure i can afford the group 35 charges :oops::(:(.

Finally, does any know how I can find out if it has a timing belt or chain, and if the former the replacement interval (and likely cost)

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Listen out for chain rattle on cold start up.

I think the Merc you looking at has the om651 engine which although generally good reliability wise it does suffer timing chain issues, mostly the reliability issues seem to be on stop/start cars and those that have missed service dates.

The timing chain is at the rear of the engine and a pig to get to, most remove the engine to change it, it's not a cheap job

If it's a manual, on the test drive go on motorway, 40mph, go in 5th gear and push the accelerator down, look at the rev counter for clutch slippage.
Also, stationary with engine on, lock the steering full left and right and listen for power steering pump cranking or weaning noise.

If it's a manual, on the test drive go on motorway, 40mph, go in 5th gear and push the accelerator down, look at the rev counter for clutch slippage.
Also, stationary with engine on, lock the steering full left and right and listen for power steering pump cranking or weaning noise.

It is an automatic, as it happens

That either means the car was 100% perfect in every way every time
or more likely, the MOT place / main stealers did a load of repairs first and then did the MOT.
Come on FP, that's a bit cynical! :)
The car is only 5 years old!
, I have been offered a 5 year old Mercedes C class,
My 2017 plate, with four MOT's has only once had an advisory for tyres.

...and I don't remember a time when an MOT has guaranteed a car is 100% perfect :)

Last edited:
My 2017 plate, with four MOT's has only once had an advisory for tyres.
Are you sure? 2017 plates came out in March 2017. Assuming it was registered on March 1st, the first Mot should have been in March 2020, the second in March 2021, third in March 22 and the fourth is not due until March 2023 so how come it has four MOT's? Are you cabbing it?

Last edited:
Are you sure? 2017 plates came out in March 2017. Assuming it was registered on March 1st, the first Mot should have been in March 2020, the second in March 2021 and the third is not due until March this year so how come it has four MOT's? Have you been taking it for MOT when it didn’t need it?
You're right, I was being lazy! Instead of checking my records/memory, I checked on .GOV - one of the tests was under the "COVID-19 6 month extension", which shows up as another "Pass"! :D

You're right, I was being lazy! Instead of checking my records/memory, I checked on .GOV - one of the tests was under the "COVID-19 6 month extension", which shows up as another "Pass"! :D
I was slightly wrong too - I've just amended my post! For some reason I thought next year was 2022! That’s what lockdowns do for you!

Funnily enough, the Merc I am looking at was the same. But the last change of ownership was in the September 6 months after the April 20 MOT. I BBC assumed that the car had been early MotT’d as part of the transaction. Can’t recall that with my old car..

I have offered offered the Merc for £12k. Seem okay?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate

C 220 d SE Executive Edition 9G-Tronic Plus auto (12/16 on) 5d 2017 17?.

Has all the Gizmos

I have offered offered the Merc for £12k. Seem okay?
If you’ve been offered it for less than the WBAC valuation, I don’t see how you could lose. We bought a car off of Mrs Motties sister for the WBAC valuation two years ago. The valuation went up £5005 at one point when things got silly but it’s still valued at just over £1k more that we paid at the moment - two years older and with an extra 15k on the clock.

If you’ve been offered it for less than the WBAC valuation, I don’t see how you could lose. We bought a car off of Mrs Motties sister for the WBAC valuation two years ago. The valuation went up £5005 at one point when things got silly but it’s still valued at just over £1k more that we paid at the moment - two years older and with an extra 15k on the clock.
Erm, what is WBAC?

Sorry, just got it!

Sponsored Links
Back