Which Car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been looking for a new car.

We both like Skodas, having had an Octavia for the past 7+ years.

We have looked at the Superb, which Mrs Secure likes because of the limo-like rear legroom.

Also looked at was the Yeti, which I like for its raised stance on the road.

The wild card we looked at today was a Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi ES which has a roomy 3+3 layout.

Mrs Secure likes it, but is put off by the higher price tag, compounded by the fact that Honda only allow £2K for scrappage, whereas Skoda allow £2.5K.

Also putting a fly in the ointment for her is the servicing on the Honda which is fixed. Our Skoda has variable servicing, which means service intervals can be up to 30K apart. In practice for us, this has averaged out at around 18K so far.

Having said that, a provisonal deal with the dealer has the price at 18250 inc scrappage & 3 year's servicing and an MOT at the end of it.

Our choice of Yeti would be 17995 less 2500 scrappage: 15495.

Our choice of Superb would be 19396 less scrappage: 16896.

Both these prices exclude servicing, too.

Which would you recommend?

PS, a strange omission, but the Superb does not have a rear wiper. Something to do with the twin door mechanism, no doubt...

Sponsored Links
Is the £2.5k scrappage on purchase of a Skoda Superb Secures? Just that the skoda website is stating £3500 scrappage on the purchase of a Octavia.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/

Anyway, some reviews at What Car for ya mate, might help:

OCTAVIA - http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/octavia-hatchback/full-review/25355-5

SUPERB - http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/superb-hatchback/full-review/25794-5

YETI - http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/yeti-4x4/full-review/25837-3

FRV (not a full review I'm afraid) - http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/honda/fr-v-mpv/full-review/25383-7

Just looking at those reviews (I know nowt about ANY of the cars here), I think I'd go for the Yeti. Looks fun and a bit different. It looks really nice too!

800px-Skoda_yeti_chung-wei.jpg

Thanks for those, Blas. I'll have a quick read in a tick.

Yes, the 2.5K is for any Skoda bar the Octy, they have 3.5 on them.

I do think the Octy II is bigger than our 02 model, but not that much bigger to contemplate buying the same again.

Sponsored Links
Not quite mini.

It's 4223 long, 1956 wide (inc mirrors), has a wheelbase of 2578 and a height of 1691mm.

To compare that with my Mk I Octy:

4513, 1920, 2512, 1457.

But the boot is smaller: 416 against 548. :cry:

briskoda.net/forums
Check this site out , will give you all the guff you want on Skodas.
Seriously thinking of changing my Roomster for a Yeti, it looks fantastic.

9, but we're not scrapping the Octy. May trade it in, not sure yet.

But we have a 99T Xantia which is ripe for the push!

Shhhh! Don't tell the Xantia, but its days are numbered...

Long story short, we went to a Skoda garage in Mansfield & looked at the Superb & the Yeti.

The dealer (knowing we were coming from Stockport) forgot to ask us to bring our DL's. I happened to have my card licence on me, but Mrs Secure did not. So that meant only I could drive. The only Superbs they had on site were DSG's, despite them knowing I wanted to buy a manual car. That was poor service on their part.

The upshot was I loved the Yeti, but the rear legroom was not much better than our Octy. Mrs Secure neither loved nor hated the Yeti.

I had read lots of reports about the Superb and have been very impressed. The test drive though, was a bit of a wet fish.

I have driven auto's before, but this was different. To a right foot untrained in the delights of VAG's DSG, it seemed very clumsy. Pressing the accelerator down gently seemed to result in very slow progress. Pressing it down further resulted in immediate kickdown, with brutal acceleration in regular steps of 10mph, with the tacho dropping in equally regular steps.

So, instead of being able to concentrate on the way the vehicle drove, I had to concentrate on the DSG.

Ultimately, we were buying a replacement vehicle to better acommodate our family. Unfortunately, both Skodas had huge transmission tunnels with even huger central armrests attached, robbing space for the middle occupants legs and feet.

The Yeti had not much more legroom than the Octy and the Superb also had a very uncomfortable middle seat cushion.

After everyone had got out, I got in the back of the Superb in the middle. There was nowhere to put your feet other than either side of the transmission tunnel, but due to its dimensions, this would make for uncomfortable long-distance journeys.
Added to this was the fact that the rear seat cushions (both the seat and the seat back) are not shaped for 3 abreast, but for two rear passengers, despite the three belts.

Being a middle passenger for long distances is certainly not an appealing
prospect.

So the Skodas were discounted.

However, Mrs Secure has ordered a new vehicle.

There are now only five of these left unregistered in the UK.

Can you guess what she's bought? ;)

A virtual pint to the guesser of the correct answer.

some sort of hyundai turd?

all of these scrappage people seem to be buying them.

i own a nissan xtrail and looking at the yetti it as a striking resemblance to the design of it.a new xtrail with all the gubbins will set you back 24K depending on which model you go for that is.

So the Skodas were discounted.

However, Mrs Secure has ordered a new vehicle.

There are now only five of these left unregistered in the UK.

Can you guess what she's bought? ;)

A virtual pint to the guesser of the correct answer.
You could at least give us a BIT more info than 'only five left unregistered in the UK' man Secures! I mean what about some vital info my wife would ask for... 'what colour is it?' :LOL: But seriously, come on we need a bit more info to go on.

i own a nissan xtrail and looking at the yetti it as a striking resemblance to the design of it.a new xtrail with all the gubbins will set you back 24K depending on which model you go for that is.
The Xtrail has very good rear leg room Secures. We had one about 5 years ago. Would love another one but money's too tight to mention as they say!!! :(

Sponsored Links
Back