is it me...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....or is anyone else becoming more frustrated with the illiterate scrawlings of the 'text speak' generation. i find reading such posts similar to having teeth pulled.

i know i'm getting old, and have mentioned it before, //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48712&highlight=
but even Moz is easier on the reading specs than the txt talkers ;)

no offence Moz, how are ya you old dog?:cool:

Sponsored Links
I no wt u mean, its trrble innit.

Text speak is fair enough when you're limited to 160 chars, but its totally out of place on an internet forum with grown-ups.

oh crikey, the wife has just horrified me! mrs noseall works at the local school and she tells me that young children are allowed to use txt shorthand in certain exams.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
young children are allowed to use txt shorthand in certain exams.

That is dreadful.

If my boys come home from school & talk or write bullsh*t, then I firmly correct them.

Even if you want to take shortcuts like this (which I don't want them to do), you need to learn the language properly to start with. I don't think some kids today have a clue.

My eldest has a nasty habit of putting "uh" on the end of every word.

I was chatting to a friend of mine who teaches brickies and joiners at a local college. She teaches basic english to school leavers, and says some folk struggle spelling their own name, never mind punctuating a sentence.

It seems to be under 25(ish) that struggle.

The generation who have grown up with mobile phones.

I'm 25 on Tuesday ;), and hadn't even used a mobile phone until after I had left school.

I got my first mobile in 1966. All cute & fluffy sheep going round & round...

noseall said:
mrs noseall works at the local school and she tells me that young children are allowed to use txt shorthand in certain exams.
Happening at my boys school as well, I've spoken to the headmaster regarding this and the school teachers are not happy about it either and nothing they can do because it's one of this stupid Government policies,

From the Sunday Mirror,

Teenagers to get free mobile phones to improve literacy standards
Teenagers are being given free mobile phones to improve their literacy. Government experts say text messaging will encourage youngsters to enjoy reading and writing. Mobile phones will be distributed for free to teenagers with the poorest literacy skills. Pilot schemes have been organised around the country by the Department of Education and Employment, and these may be extended if the project is successful.

Bills will be checked to ensure they are only being used to send text messages. Doctor Deidre Martin, of Birmingham University, says: "For many children, texting can be a way of embracing writing. We need imaginative ways of including people rather than alienating them."

(Sunday Mirror, 18 February 2001)

Another one here Exam board attacked for approving text message answers

securespark said:
That is dreadful.

If my boys come home from school & talk or write bullsh*t, then I firmly correct them.

Have to agree, not a lot we can do about it.

How the heck can sending text messages be good for literacy ! I think the morons that decided this dont realise the "shorthand" that kids use, I dont, if I text I use normal words and Isuspect they do (if they are even able to work a phone)

itws d bester times. itws d werster times.......wasrong wi tht. :?:

RF Lighting said:
Nige F said:
itws d bester times. itws d werster times.......wasrong wi tht. :?:
Wht th fck?
Shakyspeer :LOL:
(side-note: having trouble as such with 'normal' English I hate text-speak: have to think twice as hard ;))
What are schools thinking off: that business etc will accept letters, invoices etc being written in text-speak?? Not the best of plans to prepare students for real life, is it? Or is it just me??

Even our local estate agent uses "4 Sale" on their "For Sale" boards.

tigger said:
Even our local estate agent uses "4 Sale" on their "For Sale" boards.
Must be mid-terraced houses then :LOL: :LOL:
I would hold it against him: 4 houses for the price of 1 ?

Sponsored Links
Back