Is this a C1?

I imagine someone is bound to ask, so ... can they be as easily removed "by just squeezing the top/bottom from the front" (which 'they' would probably describe as "without use of a tool" :) ) ?

Kind Regards, John
Well yes that may very well be the case... except only after the CU cover is removed with the aid of a tool

Sponsored Links
Well yes that may very well be the case... except only after the CU cover is removed with the aid of a tool
Oh, that would probably be OK, even in 'their' eyes.

I was thinking that "from the front" meant with the cover still present.

Kind Regards, John

To close this one off I thought I'd have a go with one of the "squeeze top-bottom" blanking modules in an empty board.

You can't get them out. Even with all the room on the side, putting my fingers in the CU via the other gaps (which you wouldn't normally do of course) you can't get them off the DIN rail. You have to have some leverage there to lift them up, which can only be achieved with the cover off.

So confirmed as perfectly safe and fit for purpose.

20230707_105644.jpg

Attachments

• 20230707_105644.jpg
    20230707_105644.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 23
The problem is that that's actually illegal.
In Ireland or here?

I have proof that nobody cares because I've done it myself and I'm not even an electrician. If your bills are being paid and you're doing it for obvious pragmatic reasons the supplier nor dno cares about that or the carrier seals being broken.

If you don't believe me try calling 999 and tell the police you've seen your neighbour remove his fuse. Then wait for the white coats to arrive.

Sponsored Links
In Ireland or here?

I have proof that nobody cares because I've done it myself and I'm not even an electrician. If your bills are being paid and you're doing it for obvious pragmatic reasons the supplier nor dno cares about that or the carrier seals being broken.

If you don't believe me try calling 999 and tell the police you've seen your neighbour remove his fuse. Then wait for the white coats to arrive.
It's illegal in Ireland (on both sides of the so-called border), and also in England, Scotland & Wales and other jurisdictions.

it is common practice and usually nothing is said, meter fitters actively encourage electricians to do it. some years ago however the old electric boards were very good at sending stern threatening letters to anyone they (often mistakenly) thought might be the culprit, legal repercussions and we will also tear your arms and legs off! kind of letters almost

How can it really actually be illegal in England if some DNOs allow electricians to do it?

Is it the DNOs who make the law?

So it is illegal unless the DNO specifically authorises it? That would make sense I think

So it is illegal unless the DNO specifically authorises it? That would make sense I think
This discussion is all very well ('interesting'??), but has anyone actually heard of a case, at least in recent decades, when any legal action has been taken as a result of someone pulling a DNO fuse, per se (i.e. not including cases in which pulling of the fuse was associated with some other clearly illegal activity, like 'stealing electricity')?

Kind Regards, John

SSE allow CPS members to pull the main fuse

And FWIW I’m fed up with trying to deal with the useless other DNO’s so I do what’s sensible

Smart meters should have included an isolation switch too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back